copper sulfate instead of chlorine

Feb 7, 2012
i have a bad hard water problem down here in mexico,and when i add chlorine the water turns green.i tried everything and then my friend told me about copper sulfate.now the water is crystal clear and i hardly use any chlorine at all.it`s unbelievable and alot cheaper.i`m thinking of using it in my pool in ny this summer but don`t know if it will harm the liner.anybody know if it`s safe?

We do not recommend copper sulfate "algaecides", they can stain pool surfaces and cause blond hair to turn green. If you want to use an algaecide, we only recommend those containing polyquat60.

The reason your water turns color when you add chlorine is likely due to metals in your fill water. The best way to avoid this is to avoid the fill water with metal, but if that is not possible, then using a sequestrant can help avoid problems. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/metal stains

I agree with linen ... all the copper sulfate is doing is adding more metal to the water and that is not going to sanitize the pool water. It may help prevent algae from growing, but the pool is not safe from person-to-person disease transmission.

since it`s mostly just my wife and i using the pool ,it`s not much of a concern.i can`t get sequestraints where i am in mexico and i have tried everything for the last 2 years.this has solved the problem.i still use alittle chlorine but a fraction of what i use to use.i want to use it in my pool in ny also but want to know if it will harm my vynal liner.

About the only harm that might occur (you will not get an absolute, definitive answer on this) is copper staining.

Whether or not that occurs no one can tell for sure until you get the staining.

It sounds like you really want to keep using it so go ahead and if you detect any staining, you can stop and go from there.

A caution to newer members reading this thread..........Copper Sulfate is NEVER suggested for any pool any time by TFP.

OP has apparently tried every option he can think of and wants to use it. That's fine but you should not think of using it in your pool when you can get chlorine.

Just make sure you always maintain at least some chlorine in the water because copper ions alone will not kill fecal bacteria (see this post for technical details).

To minimize the chance of staining, try to keep the copper level from getting too high (well below 1.0 ppm) and try and keep the pH from getting too high (well below 8.0 -- 7.5 would be a better maximum to minimize the chance for copper staining).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.