Motor in pump shot

Jun 24, 2010
Oh my goodness...Of course the motor on our pump would go out on the coldest day of the year so far and when they are forecasting snow 4 - 6 inches of snow. :cry:

We have a 20,000 gallon in-ground pool that we keep open year round. We have a Jandy Stealth system with a Century Centurion motor. I believe it is 1.5 hp with 208 - 230 amps and 7.8 volts. Normally, the pump automatically kicks on when the water temperature gets to a certain temperature and in 7 years we have never had a problem.

My questions are:

1. Do I buy the same motor for the pump or is there a compatible motor that I can get?
2. Are we doomed to have frozen and broken pipes underground?

Thanks for your help.

First thing you need to do is open the drains on the pump and filter ... that should prevent damage to the equipment and drain a good bit of the above ground pipes. Any pipe underground should be OK if it is not a very long and deep freeze. You can also put a tarp over the equipment and even add a light bulb under it to hold some heat around the equipment and pipes.

Is there a reason you have such a large pump? I see no spa / water features / etc listed that would require high flow rates.

Since you have to replace the pump, now would be a good time to upgrade to a 2-speed motor. By running on low speed you can save a good amount of electricity. You may in fact be able to get a smaller motor and a smaller impeller to save even more money (both in initial cost and running cost).

Please add your location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.