Jul 31, 2013
NW Louisiana
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
First off, let me say that I am a confident pool owner based on this site alone. I sometimes cannot believe how incredibly helpful everyone is here.

Now, I have noticed that my pump basket has recently began to lose prime (water settling back into the pipes). When I start the pump up, it primes and pumps fine with pressure around 12 PSI. When I turn the pump off, it appears to be normal; however I hear noise coming out of the waste port of the filter (sounds like an air valve leaking). After doing this multiple times, it seems that the filter is losing pressure when the pump it not running and allows water to fall back slowly (does not happen immediately).

To further my testing, I lifted the lid on the basket (water fell some) but I can still hear the air leak on the waste port of the filter (with the lid off). The air leak only goes away after time or if I turn the vari-flo valve to another setting. I do not see any water coming out of the waste port. For what it's worth, the handle does not "spring up" in the locked position any more. I place it in the notch for "filter", but it does not snap into the grove (raise up).

Am I correct in thinking that I need to replace something on the multi-port vale as that's why it's leaking air? Is that also the reason for my pump loosing prime?

Thanks

Hayward Pro Series S244T - about 7-8 years old

You do not need the entire multiport replaced.

Plan on the spider gasket and a new spring to get your handle engaging properly and anything else that looks worn when you open it up. All the internal parts of the MP are replaceable.......fairly easy to do, too. :mrgreen:

Just for clarification, I have looked at Hayward's site at the parts manual for my filter (S244T) and I do not see the part number for the spider gasket or spring.
http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/Parts%2 ... -Mount.pdf

I have also read somewhere that not every multiport has replaceable parts (must replace entire multiport). Is there another source that I can refer to so I can order the correct part?

Thanks again

You are correct. You can't just replace the spider gasket. You need to order the diverter with the spider gasket installed.
Make sure you have the SP0714T valve (1½" ports) and you'll need part number SPX0714CA.

Over time, the stem o-rings can get dry and dirty. This prevents the spring from pushing the diverter down with enough force to make a good seal. Sometimes you can just disassemble, clean and lubricate the gasket and o-rings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.