Actuator setting for for pool cleaner

KRATC

Jan 2, 2014
I had a leak at the JANDY never lube valve that operates the pool cleaner (Polaris 360) when the pool cleaner was turned on. Did some research and decided to replace the o-rings. That fixed the leak.
PROBLEM/CONCERN: When removing the lid and diverter valve I did not pay attention to exactly how the diverter and handle were set. I know the position for the diverter to close/stop water flow when cleaner is not in use. However, I'm not sure how far the diverter should turn when operating the cleaner.
1. should it completely close the line that flows to the pool?
2. partially close the line?
3. does it matter?

Presently the cleaner works fine and there is water flow coming out of the return jets when the cleaner is on. When the cleaner is off I can not determine if there is more or the same amount of flow coming from the return jets.

Another issue that may or may not be related. There are some air bubbles coming out of return jets, and some in the pump basket. I have replaced the pump lid gasket (last summer) and always lube o-rings and gaskets. During the pool season the air bubbles where present and I tried to bleed the air from the filter tank, but never could completely eliminate the air bubbles. The pool has a Smart Pure Oxidizer/Ozonator which does produce some champagne like bubbles but not so much air like bubbles.

Any help, info, suggestions are appreciated.

thank you

You need to turn the valve far enough such that the cleaner gets enough water flow. That may be all of it or it may only need part of it. Most cleaners come with a gauge to get the correct flow rate.

jblizzle said:
You need to turn the valve far enough such that the cleaner gets enough water flow. That may be all of it or it may only need part of it. Most cleaners come with a gauge to get the correct flow rate.

Thank you for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if folks (more than 100) were reading the post & not finding it interesting or maybe my question was just a common sense applies. :shock: I have learned a lot from this forum and appreciate all the people that contribute great information.

It does have a gauge, however I have all exposed pipes, filter bodies, etc. covered with insulation wrap due to cold winter weather, that includes the gauge for the cleaner and the one on top of the filter. I know I can winterize the pool but it has a freeze protection mode and the insulation is just added protection.

I will cut off the insulation on the cleaner gauge and see if it is around 20-25 psi, that is where it operated before. Of course it will be a few days as the temps will be in the teens and windchill around 0 for a few days.

Again thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.