White Marks on bottom of resurfaced pool

Jan 17, 2014
About 18 months ago, I had our pool resurfaced with a Marquis surface
http://www.premixmarbletite.com/id6.html
Ever since the application, we've had these white streaking and spotting at the bottom of the pool. I thought it was a poor application, but the pool guys and the Marquis rep just said it's calcium deposits...They ran the acidity slightly higher in my pool to eat at the calcium, but I don't see any improvement. Any suggestions? I'm annoyed. Its been way too long.
I attached two pics...it's hard to see via the pic, but it's very noticeable.

Attachments

• white1.jpg
    white1.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 153
  • white2.jpg
    white2.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 150
In my opinion, those white streaks and spotting do not look like typical calcium deposits. And if acid doesn't remove the white streaks, then it is unlikely the white is a calcium deposit.
Calcium deposits due to hard and scaling water, should be more uniform. Troweling late with water when the surface is somewhat hard can cause streaking and can take a few months to become more and more noticeable.
And running the "acid" higher will not help, but probably will only make it worse over time.

I'm only a few posts active in this forum, and have learned a lot. Since my first post, I 'fired' the pool company that both resurfaced my pool and did my weekly pool service. I plan on getting my pool chemistry back to where it belongs normally, but unsure what to do about the lines. They even drained half and acid washed it, but it didn't do much.
If it's troweling, I think it'd be gone by now...

Your service person was not at fault.
When plaster is improperly troweled, the defect and discoloration becomes fairly permanent. The lines aren't going to disappear.

Based on those two pictures, it looks to me as an application and material additives issue. Not bad water chemistry. Sorry it probably can't be rectified with a change in water chemistry.
It should be still under warranty. May I ask what area of the country do you reside?

Warranty ended after a year :( And they insist and insist it's not application issues, and even had the Marquis guy come out (with the pool company present) and he agreed - I wasn't there, but I called him and he told me the same.
I live in Tampa, FL - Hillsborough County.

Do you have any evidence that you brought up this issue with the builder or plasterer before the one year mark?
I assume you have a quartz aggregate plaster finish. Sometimes the plaster mix contains only white cement and the quartz aggregate, and sometimes a color pigment is added for a special color.
Do you know if there was a color pigment added to the plaster mix for the final color of finish? Try and find out because this can make a difference in your pursuit of this issue.

"Refinish pool interior with Bluestone Color Marquis Quartz Finish having a 10

Year Manufacturer’s Warranty.

Includes draining pool, acid washing of surface, applying a bond coating to insure

proper adhesion of new finish, refilling pool with owner furnished city water and

chemical balance."

I emailed them after a year, because they said it'd take that long to become uniform...but they said they'd 'make it right' verbally. Their idea of making it right has been just tinkering with the pool chemicals, acidity, etc.

Okay, here is my suggestion. Tell them that unbalanced water would cause a uniform discoloration. Your plaster discoloration is not uniform in nature.
Troweling mistakes would cause line and streaks. Your plaster has line and streaks.

Additionally, tell them that calcium scale would come off easily with acid or sanding. Insist that they prove that it is a calcium scaling problem by sanding an area with 100 Grit wet&dry sandpaper for a few seconds. If nothing happens, then it is unlikely to be calcium scale.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you don't mind me asking what pool company did you use because i am running into the same issue with white spotting and streaks in my pool which was resurfaced about 3 months ago.

My Warranty has a 1 year warranty again defects in workmanship and pool materials 10 year manufactures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.