Sand filters - is bigger, better?

Mar 15, 2011
Hi guys, being new to pools and to this forum - this is what I learn so far in terms of having an efficient setup (keeping power bills down):

PUMP- bigger isn't better. Get the right size pump, or slower running pump - running longer is better.
PIPES - Bigger diameter is generally better.
CHLORINATOR - Getting bigger than what you need is better, you can run chlorinator shorter times - less wear on cell - cell will last longer.
SAND FILTER?????

Is a sand filer bigger than what you need better? ie will a bigger pump cause less friction and be more efficient?

The answer is the missing link to my basic knowledge of pool equipment and efficiency :)

As cprince eluded to, the ability to backwash properly is the deciding factor. Each filter size has a recommended backwash flow. As long as your pump is capable of producing that much flow, you're fine.
I don't ever remember someone who had a pump large enough to cause a too much backwash issue. However, I'm sure there are setups out there that could.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.