New Construction and Planning Ahead for Outdoor Kitchen

Jun 1, 2013
Huntsville AL
Well the time is getting very close to breaking ground on a new home. I have an area designated for an outdoor kitchen and a pool. These things may happen during the build depending on how well the budget is followed! The covered area for the outdoor kitchen will at least be finished but the kitchen build may have to wait. I am wondering what everyone would recommend for the layout. Based on how the kitchen area is viewed from the house and the pool I am not sure which way would be the best for the layout. The thing I keep thinking about most is the drain location for the sink since it will have to be roughed in before concrete is poured. I plan to have a small fridge, grill, green egg, and sink. I hope to have enough room left under the covered area for a decent amount of seating area. The pool does not show on the prints but it would basically be centered up directly in front of the covered patio. The pool will be 20x40. I have attached a few pics showing the patio size, the view from the back of the house, and the elevation view.

I do not really have a good feel for the overall plan, but my first impression was that the covered patio seems to be off on it's own with no direct access. It looks like you have a dining/porch area in your plan. Incorporating the covered patio into this area seems like it would provide better flow inside and out. I would try and connect these elements a bit more if at all possible.

Riles

Thank you for the comments. It does not show on te plans but there will actually be a door going outside where you see the 6'2" measurement by the hall.

Riles what are your thoughts on incorporating the dining/porch area. I guess I don't feel like I have enough room here. I also don't want to block the view of the pool. We don't have kids yet but when we do I don't wanna have an issue viewing the pool area. By the way your kitchen looks great. Looks like your located fairly close to me. I am about 15 minutes outside of Ardmore TN.

How would most people access your pool? It seems like it would be through the Great Room, out onto the porch, down the steps and into the backyard? If that was the case then I would try to incorporate the outdoor kitchen into the porch in some fashion. Maybe just extending the portion of the porch that is 6' in front of the master bedroom and incorporating it into that area. If you had an elevation that looks back at the porch that may be helpful.

Ardmore . . . yeah you are not too far at all. Thanks for the kind words about the kitchen. It is the one feature we get more use out of that any other, including the pool (even though that gets plenty of use).

Here is a better photo showing how people will access the pool. The plan is for the walk through mudroom to be somewhat of a drop zone for guests and there bags. I am sure people will use the great room doors also. But the plan is to use the mudroom doors most of the time and if someone needs to go in to use the restroom. Also attached a pic of the rear elevation. I am not sure if we can extend the roof line on the 6' part of the porch. How much are you thinking? Also note the rear elevation pic shows a single door on the master, that has now become a double window.

Thanks that helps, and hopefully a few others will chime in to get others thoughts.

Maybe another way to think of it is, if you were entertaining folks outside for a pool party. Where would they be hanging out? It seems like people would naturally spill out of the great room onto the porch. If that were the case I would try and create an outdoor entertainment area there. You could probably do the same thing in a detached area like where you have it with some decking, walkways, etc. surrounding the covered patio and tying back into key points like the mudroom. Just something to think about. I'm not saying what you have won't work but it might be good to get your builder or maybe you have to get landscape architect or something to look at the backyard as a whole. If it were me I would want to see how the backyard all ties together before I started building. You could probably even go to a pool builder and they could help with how the outdoor pieces all fit together. Just my two cents.

Riles

Thanks for the comments. My mind is spinning in circles now! I really do not know what to do. I am sure you are right on people spilling out of great room. I could put the kitchen area down below the porch but then its not covered. And I forgot to mention on the 6' part of the porch, there is a good chance a handicap ramp will be put in for my brother in law to get down to the pool area. He said he could go around the garage and come in from the back but I know off the porch would be better for him. Sometimes I feel like it would be better just to leave the covered patio off for now and add something later. But I know it will be a lot cheaper during construction to just build it and be done. Decisions decisions! I may just need to offer you a drink and some gas money to ride up here during construction and give me your thoughts!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.