First Test Results

bratch

Jan 13, 2014
Oklahoma City
We had a SWG pool put in last spring, as new pool owners we had no clue what we were doing but managed to get through the summer with a clean trouble free pool. This fall and winter we started having some discoloration in the water. It never got bad but it had a slight green tint so I researched and found this place. I've read and learned a ton already and found it was a lack of chlorine that was probably causing my problems. I dropped a chlorine tab in the skimmer and the pool has gotten clear again. I also ordered a TF100 so I can start managing the pool properly, I did my first test today.

PH 8.2 we have a hot tub that waterfalls into the pool I added ~ 1pt of muratic to bring it back down
FC- 14 ppm
CC- 0 ppm
TA- 290 ppm
CH- ??? I performed this test but never got to blue water. I stopped added agent at 100 drops. I did go from red to clear with a blueish hint but I never got to a true blue colored water. We are on a well with very hard water. I haven't tested the well water but will.
CYA- 60

Does anything else look reasonable? My TA was high but I expect that was due to the high Ph.

Thanks

Welcome to tfp, bratch :wave:

bratch said:
Does anything else look reasonable? My TA was high but I expect that was due to the high Ph.
When the kit reads 8.2, the ph can actually be higher. Have you checked it again? If it is still high then add more Muriatic Acid to bring it down and test again after an hour of circulating and repeat until you get down into the low 7s for ph.

That TA is high but not unusual if you have high TA fill water which is likely since you are on a well (I use well water and mine is ~300 ppm). Test your well water TA and post it here.

bratch said:
CH- ??? I performed this test but never got to blue water. I stopped added agent at 100 drops. I did go from red to clear with a blueish hint but I never got to a true blue colored water. We are on a well with very hard water. I haven't tested the well water but will.
It sounds like you CH is probably high, though your endpoint should be when it turns blue and does not change anymore with the next drop. In your case the endpoint was likely when it first turned light blue. Here are the extended test kit directions:http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206396 Post your CH results of the well water too, when you do it.

bratch said:
I dropped a chlorine tab in the skimmer and the pool has gotten clear again.
Be careful with using the pucks, they add cya to your water (though your current cya level seems fine for a swg pool...we recommend 70-80 ppm cya for swg pools). See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Welcome to the forum bratch!

I cant over emphasize enough to read, and work on the ABC's first. Don't get bogged down in anything else in Pool School until you are comfortable with that. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to come back and ask. We enjoy helping people learn to do this on their own. Congrats on the kit, you made a wise choice and when you couple it's use with some understanding, all this will become very easy. Enjoy the forums!

Thanks guys. I've read the ABCs several times but will continue to do so until I have a firm grasp on everything.

I tested the Ph again this morning and it was still showing 8.2. I added some more acid and just retested and had 7.2. I retested my CH and got 375 ppm this time using the 10 ml test.

I also tested my fill water.

Ph- 7.2
TA- 270 ppm
CH- 375 ppm (10 ml test)

Should I work it get the TA down on the pool with the fill water being high as well?

bratch said:
Thanks guys. I've read the ABCs several times but will continue to do so until I have a firm grasp on everything.

I tested the Ph again this morning and it was still showing 8.2. I added some more acid and just retested and had 7.2. I retested my CH and got 375 ppm this time using the 10 ml test.

I also tested my fill water.

Ph- 7.2
TA- 270 ppm
CH- 375 ppm (10 ml test)

Should I work it get the TA down on the pool with the fill water being high as well?
This post implies that your fill and pool water are identical in pH, TA and CH.........is that correct?

duraleigh said:
This post implies that your fill and pool water are identical in pH, TA and CH.........is that correct?

They appear to be very similar. I could have added an extra drop here or there on the test before recognizing no more color change but I feel fairly comfortable with the results.

I've had to add acid the past two days to get the pool Ph down it had been reading 8.2 each time I had measured it before this afternoon and the second dose of acid.

Your pH should not be increasing daily by nearly that amount.....probably just being new to the test but test again before you add more acid. It's a little cheaper keeping it down than bringing it back up.

duraleigh said:
Your pH should not be increasing daily by nearly that amount.....probably just being new to the test but test again before you add more acid. It's a little cheaper keeping it down than bringing it back up.

I did not check Ph yesterday after adding acid so it may not have came down too far.

How fast does aeration raise Ph? Our spa waterfalls into our pool anytime the pump is running so I was assuming that was contributing to the higher Ph.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.