Wireless remotes for lights

Sep 18, 2012
Lake Nona, Florida
After we built the pool and enclosure in the back of the house we decided it's too dark back there. I have all kinds of places to hand and power lights... but sadly I really didn't think through how I will switch them on/off. I was thinking that someone must make some kind of wireless relay I could hardwire into a light fixture and turn them on/off remotely with a fob like a garage door opener.

I figured this would be an easy google... but after a bit of hunting I'm not quickly finding what I had in mind. I'd rather not switch an outlet and wire a plug onto permanent lights (a lot of kits plug into outlets for simple install). I also intend to switch some banks of floodlight - maybe 600 to 1200W total as well as a few smaller lights 100 or 150W. So load rating matters (a lot of stuff seems rated for very light loads).

And finally - The lights will be mounted on an out-building behind the pool and I'd like the switch to work inside the house - so the reliable range needs to be 75 to 100 feet. In reading comments on some sites it seems a common complaint is remotes that won't work more than 15 feet away. That won't cut it. If I need to carry the remote halfway to the light, I might as well just walk the rest of the way (in the dark) and operate a manual switch!

Anyone have experience with this stuff? Good/bad? Suggestions?

I use an Intermatic remote switch on mine. Consist of receiver and transmitter that can handle three different receivers. Hard wired and am getting 200' range. Works for me. Good Luck!
Sami

So somehow between my googling and/or this post some ad robot figured me out and put amazon links to exactly the right intermatic product line on weather.com. $60 for the remote fob and $80 for each switch. They are spec'd out for exactly what I want to do... the only question is if I will be able to get the effective range I need. I just paced it off and in the best case I can locate the switches at 100' but ideally a couple of them would be 120 or 130 feet. Not sure if walls cause attenuation or interference either.

samiguy - are you getting 200' from an Intermatic RC939/613 combo?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.