New filter and possibly a new pump - Newbie

Jan 18, 2014
I have what I believe to be a 30 year old sand filter it is a Triton model TR-60 the sticker says the filter area is 3.1 sqft. The fiberglass has cracked and of course all the media was pumped out along with a few hundred gallons of water. The pump is also very old, it is a 1hp pump but is working fine.

My pool is in Orlando and 35k gallons, heavily shaded back yard. I have 10 solar panels on the roof to provide heating. The pool was converted in salt when the solar was installed in early May, a Hayward Aqua Rite chlorine generator. The pool is screened in and was resurfaced four years ago.

Pressure and flow seem sufficient, maintenance has been minimal. I have had to spend about 30 minutes a week in the peak swim season to keep the pool crystal clear and clean (we have a suction cleaner). One of the comments is that 1hp does not seem like enough power with the suction cleaner and solar heating system. When it is all running I can only pull water from two of three sources (drain, skimmer or suction cleaning port), quite honestly this has not proven to be a big deal but it would not be horrible if I could run all three at once.

Clearly the filter must be replaced ASAP, what size cartridge filter should I be considering? Most likely will buy a hayward or pentair.

Should I replace the pump? I typically live in a if it aint broke don't fix it world, but I am willing to consider replacing the pump. I don't see a variable speed doing much good considering we ran the solar heater all spring summer and fall to keep the pool swimmable.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

For that size pool you need about a 500 sqft filter. Since it's screened you can probably get by with something in the 400 sqft range.

Post the specifics about the pump and we can tell you more about it. There are a lot of different sized "1hp" pumps.

Unfortunately I do not have much information about the pump, the only label is on the motor. I have attached a couple of pictures for reference. I believe the pump is original but the motor was replaced at some point.

Attachments

• pump.jpeg
    pump.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 15
  • equip.jpeg
    equip.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 15
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.