Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electric bill difference from adding a pool with intelliflo

1. Back To Top    #1

Electric bill difference from adding a pool with intelliflo

Split from "Pump Question" thread for more specific discussion - ktdave

How much difference does everyone see to your electric bill from adding a pool? We are looking to add an unheated 17k gallon pool that would have an intelliflow pump as part of the equipment package. Just curious to see what others experience in that regard.
    Thanks.
    14100 gallon IG Gunite Pool
    Sapphire Smoke Quartz Plaster
    Pentair SunTouch Controller, Intelliflo 4x160 Pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor SWG System
    Legend Platinum Cleaner with booster pump
    My Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Electric bill difference from adding a pool with intelliflo

I have an Intelliflo 4x160 pump and our electric bill has increased from $20 to $40 per month.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks ktdave.

How long does the pump typically run each day?
    Pentair SunTouch Controller, Intelliflo 4x160 Pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor SWG System
    My Pool Build

4. Back To Top    #4

It runs 4 hrs in the winter months (don't close the pool) to 8 hrs in the summer. BTW I run my pump normally at 1700 rpm.
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ktdave
    I have an Intelliflo 4x160 pump and our electric bill has increased from $20 to $40 per month.
    Uhm... so what was the incentive for spending the money on this pump if it cost you more to run?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    Uhm... so what was the incentive for spending the money on this pump if it cost you more to run?
    I think he was saying the pump cost increase in electricity was between $20 to $40 per month.
    My Pool Build

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    I'm guessing his bill without the pool was $20 a month, and after the pool (which uses an intelliflow) his bill only went up $20...

I can't imagine having a $20 electric bill though... We use a LOT of electricity in our house apparently and even before we had the pool put in, our normal electric bill was ~$200 a month.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Tonedeaf
    I think he was saying the pump cost increase in electricity was between $20 to $40 per month.
    Yeah, I suppose that makes more sense now that I think about it.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Tonedeaf
    correct, sorry for the confusion

The electricity usage increase from not having a pool, to having a pool (with the intelliflo) over the last year has been between $20 - $40 per month.
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok. I thought you replace a fixed rpm pump with the intelli-flo and your cost went up

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a standard Whisperflo 2hp fixed rate pump. I am spending around $200 a month to run the pump for 12 hours. Starting this week, I cut the run time to 11 hours and soon more cuts to follow. I am now looking into a pump can save me some money. Right now, I am looking at the IntelliFlo VS 3050 with a SunTouch Solar Control System. I had a Pentair tech come to the house today to look at my setup, the VS 3050 with the SunTouch Control System is what he recommended. I have to push water to two upper levels for my solar. I am going to re-work the PVC to use the 2hp fixed rate pump on just the waterfalls and jets. The Intelliflo will be the primary pump.

I have all Pentair but I don't mind looking at other similar setups. Any ideas or thoughts?
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster