Adding Ozonator to commercial hot tub

Feb 26, 2012
Stowe, VT
Hey guys,

Looking for some information/opinions on adding an ozonator to a resort hot tub. Let me give you some details first.

1) It is an outdoor hot tub.
2) 3-step Bromine with 12.5% sodium hypo to shock.
3) approx 5,000 gallons
4) Inground, gunite finish.
5) Bather load between 10-40 on average, but certainly not uncommon to see closer to 75
6) Sand filter.

Is this something that I could do relatively easily.

I haven't researched cost or anything yet, so if any direction would be helpful, thanks in advance.

With the 3-step bromine method that has a bromide bank and your use of an ozonator, bromine should be generated from the ozone oxidizing the bromide. So that in combination with the bromine from the tabs may provide enough bromine for the bather load. The difficulty will be if the bather load varies. The bromine level will probably get too high when the bather load is low. The only way to really handle this properly is with some sort of sensor that affects dosing, but that's more common with chlorine injection for chlorine spas.

It originally was a sodium hypo tub with a CAT 5000 control using a sensor to maintain an ORP set point. I use the set point of that controller in conjunction with a normally closed solenoid valve that wyes off the pressure side of the pump for an off-line bromine feeder when it falls below set point, and shuts when it's above set point. I find it works more reliably than just constantly feeding the erosion feeder with water. Now I don't ever rely on just the ORP reading, I do several TB tests a day, and when I'm not at work, my co-workers fill in.

That being said, is an ozonator not a good idea with bromine? I was hoping to reduce some of the shocking, which is everyday, usually multiple times a day.

An ozonator is fine with bromine and as I wrote it will actually generate more bromine if there is sufficient bromide in the water. The ozone should oxidize some of the bather waste so result in less bromine usage as well. In general, ozone works well with a bromine spa. I was just pointing out that without proper feedback controls or regular testing and adjusting, your bromine level is going to go up and down a lot as the bather load varies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.