Pool test kit...what to buy?

Dec 3, 2013
Hi everyone,

My pool is in its first year and getting a workout in this heat wave!
I have been wary of the pool store tests, but have only had a very basic kit (pH, chlorine, TA).
I'd like to be able to do all of the necessary testing myself. What do people recommend?

Chlorine is remaining within limits and pH is good. TA always seems to be low (80-100, and should be higher for my fibreglass pool).

I keep referring back to this site and reading posts, lots of my issues have been solved that way. Finally getting my head around pool chemistry.

Also....can any Aussie members help me out with where they buy chemicals and tests online with reliable service? My first attempt was a fail, the chlorine test tablets I needed took weeks to arrive (no store in my town unfortunately). Postage should have been overnight.

Feeling like I have only skimmed the surface of what I should be doing. :-D

Cheers from Aus!

Welcome to TFP!

We have some members from Down Under who have gotten hold of the Taylor K2006, and the TF-100. These are the best pool kits on the market and use the exact same reagents. I'm sure they will weigh in soon, and can perhaps help you out.

Brushpup said:
Welcome to TFP!

We have some members from Down Under who have gotten hold of the Taylor K2006, and the TF-100. These are the best pool kits on the market and use the exact same reagents. I'm sure they will weigh in soon, and can perhaps help you out.

It would seem that it is fairly difficult to source these kits in Australia. One of the Taylor kits on ebay for $450. That seems crazy compared to the US stores.

I ran out of test tablets for chlorine levels. It was high, then went to the pool shop in another town to get some more (my online order never arrived)…..thought I would get my water tested. They said my pool had virtually no chlorine in it and would turn green in the next few days. Asked me to shock the pool. When I went home and tested, chlorine was at the lower end of normal (ideal range on my test is 1.0-1.5) Mine tested 1.0 (by colour comparison).

I thought it was strange and asked how it would drop so quickly when I have my salt chlorinator on the highest output level (2 x 4 hours). I had turned it up while I was out of test tablets….to make sure it didn't get too low. Told me that recent lightning storms would have sucked the chlorine out of the pool. Is that a myth? Also said that after a few days of lightning, everyone will be in the shop asking why their pools have gone green. I know lightning may affect the electrical charge of chemicals…..but this seems like a myth to me. Any chemists out there have an opinion?

TheGoodies said:
Told me that recent lightning storms would have sucked the chlorine out of the pool. Is that a myth? Also said that after a few days of lightning, everyone will be in the shop asking why their pools have gone green. I know lightning may affect the electrical charge of chemicals…..but this seems like a myth to me. Any chemists out there have an opinion?
I laughed at this. There's not enough light produced by lightning to change your chlorine levels, but I did a bit of research and lightning does fix nitrogen. That fixed nitrogen dissolves in the rain and when it falls in your pool it feeds the algae, which could then lower your chlorine level. So, there's at least a mechanism there.

In Australia, you can import from saltwater pool parts - shipping is dear, but quick - the $450 ebay kit is a ripoff - that's a k-2006C - larger reagent sizes (66ml vs 22) I have some reagents in stock if you just need the FAS-DPD test, will work as long as you have a 10ml measuring cylinder. PM me for details, I'm an Aussie as well and had the same problems getting a kit.

Do a search in the forum for test kit and Australia. There are a few members that found it is cheaper to buy a test kit in the U.S. and have it shipped than to buy it down under. They would likely be able to help you. Send them a PM.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Another question. My TA is low (pool shop said this and I confirmed with my own test). I get around 80 on the test and the booklet says it should be 120-140 for a fibre glass pool. Should I be concerned by the low TA? Is it likely to self correct? I was going to wait until I had accurate results from a test kit, but that could take a while….

Thanks,

TheGoodies said:
Thanks everyone for the help.

Another question. My TA is low (pool shop said this and I confirmed with my own test). I get around 80 on the test and the booklet says it should be 120-140 for a fibre glass pool. Should I be concerned by the low TA? Is it likely to self correct? I was going to wait until I had accurate results from a test kit, but that could take a while….

Thanks,

I wouldn't worry based on the Pool Store reading. It may be a little low, but it may not. I would be more concerned with pH and chlorine levels until you know for sure. If you follow Jason's advice, it won't take long to have a proper kit in hand. I don't remember specifics for TA in a FG pool, but can't imagine it's that critical for the short term.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.