Replacing Raypak 2100 return header-questions

MCan56

Mar 25, 2013
Shawnee OK
This winter, I decided to not close my pool. Everything was going swimmingly until I heard the sounds of air coming out the pool returns last Thursday. I went out to look, and sure enough, water was gushing out the side of my pool heater. Boo! Luckily, we had a warm front this weekend.

I decided to do a little PVC work to bypass the heater as a quick fix, and wound up paying the local pool guy to do it and give me an estimate on the heater. First lesson- $158 for 2 elbows and about 4 inches of straight means I will start doing my own PVC work :)

They did look up parts- they pointed out the rather obvious crack in the return header, and rusted bolts holding it on. No evidence of water underneath, but a lot of rust. They estimated the age at 6-10 years. They came back with $201 parts and $300 labor to "clean it up" and install the header.

Amazon shows the header at about $80, and the bolt kit another $50(!!). Seems like I can save myself about $370..well, maybe less as I have to redo the PVC.

Questions:
If there is an obvious crack in the return header (plastic), and nothing froze in the system (ran pump 24/7 during freeze conditions) is it reasonable to assume I might buy another couple of years use by replacing this? It was working fine in September.

What cleanup would they be doing that would take 2 people 2 hours, for what appears to be a 15 minute header replacement?

If I do put a heater back in, would it be wise to put in a valve to bypass it during "winterized" time, just to prevent excessive wear? He said the valve would be $80.

Thanks!

If it's fairly apparent that it didn't freeze and upon close inspection there's no additional damage, I'd say your chances are pretty good that it will last a few more years.

I'd definitely add the bypass valve. It's just good practice in case the heater needs to be taken out for repair.

We bought a house 3 years ago which had a RP2100 heater. It was around 10 years old at that time. The heater was rusting out on the bottom and we were putting a few hundred dollars every year in various parts (Board twice, pilot light assembly, overheat fuses). This spring the unitherm governor cap blew out which attaches to the manifold. The pool company that opens the pool for us said he didn't have high hope in getting the rusted bolts out to replace the manifold. He said it probably would cause other issues. They wanted around $650 to try the repair it with no guarantees or $3500 for a new RP2100 installed. I decided I was going to put in a new one myself. I had the pool company put two shut off valves with flanges to the two pool heater returns and bypassed the heater for a few weeks. I ordered a new RP2100 on the internet that also had the nickel cupro heat exchanger for around $2000 delivered to my driveway. I installed it in a few hours. Everything lined up to the older unit except they moved the power feed from the bottom to the top of the heater. I had to run to the hardware store to extend the conduit but was lucky there was just enough wire so that I didn't need to pull new wires. In hindsight I would have replaced it three years ago verses putting all the dollars in it over the last few years. Just my experience with our old RP2100.

Thanks for the advice!

I think I will forego any repair at all, and see how quickly it warms up. The wife is interested in trying a solar blanket, although really the problem with our pool is just the amount of tree coverage. It always stays fairly cool (even in Oklahoma!) due to the large pecan trees in our backyard. We used the heater to extend our season to May-September, so we may just have to buck up or wait until June.

MCan56 said:
Thanks for the advice!

I think I will forego any repair at all, and see how quickly it warms up. The wife is interested in trying a solar blanket, although really the problem with our pool is just the amount of tree coverage. It always stays fairly cool (even in Oklahoma!) due to the large pecan trees in our backyard. We used the heater to extend our season to May-September, so we may just have to buck up or wait until June.

A solar blanket won't be of much use with the trees you mention. Solar blanket will only put a small amount of heat into the water even without trees. It also won't warm up the pool very quickly. Your current unit is probably just at the end of its life cycle, it happens. 6-10 years is about right on these units. They just don't make them like they use to where it would last close to 20 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.