Any way to get bigger vacuum hole?

Xebec

Jun 23, 2008
My AGP has an awfully small vacuum adapter hole below the in-wall skimmer. Then, it gets even smaller when INSERT the hose into it. It's causing my pump basket to drop water level, either through leaks or through "cavitation". That doesn't happen during normal skimming operation. So, that suggests I'd get better results with a larger hole below the in-wall skimmer.

Anyone know of a way to do that?

My skimmer is an older deluxe Doughboy.

That's an interesting idea. The only skimmer plates I've found, so far, are simple lids that seal the skimmer so the water all comes in through the small vacuum hole in the wall.

Any idea where to look for something like that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's the result of my testing, so far...

My hose from the skimmer to the pump has several joints (don't ask!), so I bought some putty that hardens like steel and sealed all those seams. Then, I ran the pump with the skimmer lid on and vacuum hose attached. I rubbed shaving cream over all the seams and confirmed (as best I can) that no air is getting in from the skimmer to the pump.

Then, I watched the pump basket for about 10 minutes. Definitely less air in there than before, so I conclude there WERE leaks, previously, in my hose from the skimmer to the pump.

Then, I watched the skimmer basket. As time went on, the water level slowly dropped, leaving more and more air in the skimmer. The skimmer lid (which is only kept on by suction) was letting SOMETHING through the edges, and it looked like air might have been mixed in with the stream. But, it was fully covered with water, and there was no "whirlpool", so I don't know if there really was air, or if there was, where it was coming from (maybe extracted from the water, itself?).

Anyway, I've given up on the whole vacuum thing. My pool was badly designed with such small holes. I think the problems began when I replaced my pump. I must have replaced it with a more powerful one, and the higher suction is causing too much vacuum when sucking through that small hole.

Instead of vacuuming (and instead of the aquabug auto vacuum), I'm going to get an Aquabot Rover Jr. It has it's own filter system, so I don't need to use the vacuum part of my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.