Pool Pump Replacement Questions from a Newbie

Jan 7, 2014
I have recently purchased a home that came with an in ground pool pump. This is my first pool and am baffled on how much energy our existing pool pump uses. I have been reading a ton of threads on this forum and doing research on the pool pumps my utility (SDG&E) company is providing credits for. I have decided to move forward with the Pentair Intelliflow 11018 model. Here are my questions:

1 - My existing pool pump has 1&1/2 inch PVC pipes which eventually turn into 2" at the DE Filter. Is this going to be a challenge with the new pentair?

2 - I have a mechanical pool timer with the existing pool pump, do I still need this hardware if the 11018 has a built in timer?

Thank you all for your help. This has been a tremendous help in understanding how to maintain a pool.

Welcome to TFP!

What size is your current pump?
If you limit the maximum speed, then your plumbing will be fine. You will not need the mechanical timer any more.

You sure you need that big of a pump?

circuit said:
I have recently purchased a home that came with an in ground pool pump. This is my first pool and am baffled on how much energy our existing pool pump uses. I have been reading a ton of threads on this forum and doing research on the pool pumps my utility (SDG&E) company is providing credits for. I have decided to move forward with the Pentair Intelliflow 11018 model. Here are my questions:

1 - My existing pool pump has 1&1/2 inch PVC pipes which eventually turn into 2" at the DE Filter. Is this going to be a challenge with the new pentair?

2 - I have a mechanical pool timer with the existing pool pump, do I still need this hardware if the 11018 has a built in timer?

Thank you all for your help. This has been a tremendous help in understanding how to maintain a pool.

The intelliflo has 2 inch fittings on it. If your pipe is 1 1/2, you can use pvc adapters to fit it to the 2 inch fitting on the pump.

Like jblizzle says, you won't need the external timer with intellifo.

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't expecting feedback that quickly.

With regards to the pool pump size, I have a relatively small pool. Its only 13,000 gallons.
My understanding from the research I have done is that I need a pool pump that can turn over 13k gallons once a day.
It seems like the 11018 can turn as low as 30 gpm in the lowest setting, which is the most energy efficient.

Is the intelliflo 11018 more than I need? Do you have other recommendations? I am literally waiting to feedback from the forum to make my purchase.

My existing pool pump is a single speed pump and its 2.2 hp. (https://www.dropbox.com/s/yprljb6yinlhu ... ntions.jpg)
My objective with switching out my pool pump is to make it more energy efficient. I am in Southern California and I am paying around .35cents (US) a kWh. Currently my pool is using half of my energy of my house. ( I know this because I have a solar system that tracks energy usage in my home). It's costing me around $110 a month to run my pool pump.

Thank you. I sincerely appreciate everyones help.

Are any of the newer / smaller Hayward VS pumps, such as the MaxfloVS or the SuperPumpVS on the approved list, these pumps were just introduced last year so are not on many of the electric company approved lists yet, they are also smaller, and with a more basic integrated controller than the Intelliflow, but they are also MUCH cheaper.

Ike

If you have no spa or big water features that need higher flow rates, then I would second the suggestions from Isaac ... assuming they are on the rebate list, which I think hope they are.

Any solar, SWG, or automation plans in the near future?

Thanks for the feedback. Up to this point I was just going on Pentair and Hayward but read that the Pentair used magnet motors and have had more units in production than hayward. I have no spa or any water features just a small 15ftx35ft rectangle pool. The only additional accessory that I do have is a creepy crawly.

These are the hayward pumps that my power company will provide a rebate for:

Hayward 1.5 Max-Flo VS SP2300VSP
Hayward 1.5 Super Pump VS SP2600VSP
Hayward 2 EcoStar Variable Speed Pump SP3400VSP
Hayward 2 EcoStar SVRS Variable Speed Pump SP3400VSPVR

Keeping in mind that I am not an expert in pool maintenance, which of the models would you recommend that is easier to use and program?

The MaxfloVS seems to be slightly better than the SuperpumpVS for most uses, the EcoStar pump is a larger pump than you need. As to the use and programming, I would suggest downloading the operating manual for the MaxfloVS and judging for yourself. The built in timer is somewhat lacking in features, it allows you to program 3 speeds V1,V2,V3, and timers V2 and V3, when you turn it on it starts in speed V3 runs for the duration of timer V3, then switches to speed V2 for length of timer V2, then switches to V1 until the power is cycled. You can of course also manually select V1-v3 speeds and adjust the number of rpms for each. If you want to turn off the pump completely you would need to add an external timer for this shut off function. The built in 3 speeds could be used with a suction side cleaner that requires high pump speed for operation, then drop down to a lower medium speed possibly needed for heater, heat pump or solar heater or SWG (salt water chlorine generator), then after some amount of time drop to a low flow circulation. It would be nice if it also included a full off timer option, but I suspect they used an off the shelf controller on this product to try to keep the price down, another possible limitation is there is no way to remotely change speed, so pump speed can't be integrated into an automation system. Having said all that you get what you pay for, and it is enough for a basic pool with no water features, and you can always add an external timer to turn it on and off.

Ike

p.s. built in timers are of the countdown type, not clock hour of the day type, so an external timer may still be needed if you only want to run during off peak electrical rates (assuming you have tiered electrical metering depending on time of day)

I am looking at the same pumps you are and after looking at this post, I think I'll go with the MaxFlo. With my needs, the total cost of the equipment plus the operating costs for 10 years was lowest for the MaxFlo than any other pump I looked at..to include Pentair Intelifo and Hayward Ecostar. With rates that high...I'd look at the Pump cost + operating cost (with your electric rates) - rebate ....
This would not assume rates would rise (which is almost certain) but it still gives you a ballpark idea of your costs. It helped me make the decision to go with the MaxFlo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.