Dogs and my vinyl

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
I have two dogs (Golden Retrievers) that are large, even at 6 mo. old. I let them get in the pool a couple of weeks ago, and they (or one of them at least) LOVED it...the vet also says that swimming is great, non-impact exercise.
However, I think I have found a tear in my vinyl on my steps...not sure if they did it or not. It looks like a small, 1/2" or so 'cut' on the steps, and what looks like dark brown (rust?) under it. I need to get a snorkel and investigate further, because the pool is less than 2 years old and I can't see having rust on the steps already; but if it is a cut, how do I repair it?
Also, could dog nails cut vinyl? I have good, thick vinyl (I'd have to look it up, but it was a good grade and has a long warranty). thanks

Unfortunately dog nails do cut vinyl liners. I have two Labs who love to swim. My last pool was vinyl with no way out except ladders. The dogs would not jump into the pool on their own, but when helped in they would sometimes try to get out on their own by putting their front feet on the deck and climbing the walls with their back feet. I had lots of little holes to repair.

As far as the actual repairs go, they are pretty easy (as long as they are in shallow water) using a vinyl repair kit made for the purpose. You can either use the clear vinyl that comes with the kit or a scrap of your own liner if you have one. Deep end bottom repairs are challenging without scuba gear!

Hi Todd,

We have German Shepherds who swim in our above-ground vinyl lined pool daily. We also have dog visitors that get in the pool now and then. We have wedding cake steps made of a hard plastic of some sort.

There's been no damage from dog claws in the three years we've had the pool. One of our guys pushes off the steps hard to launch himself into the water; he's also the one who does a swimmer's turn off the walls. None of that has left even a nick or a scratch. I doubt whether the damage to your steps was from a dog. Could be, but I'd be more inclined to think it's some other wear and tear (no pun intended).

The important thing when you have dogs in the pool is to give them a way to exit that's easy for them. Regular steps work great, or a Skamper Ramp if you have a hard sided pool.

We use a PetStep II ramp on our pool for our dogs. It's nice because it connects to the deck instead of the side of the pool. You can get a leg kit for it to make it work in a pool.

Hi tschaefges,

I have only concrete around the pool and am interested in this product. Does it just rest on the side of the pool. I'm worried as I have an electric cover that will have to allow for so I wondered if this thing would be able to stand at the end of the pool and still be able to close the cover.
If you have the legs for it too, is this something that you can just place everytime in the pool? We don't have steps and it's a vinyl liner so I'll need a ramp of some description..

Cheers

Danny

thewayne said:
You might want to look into one of these.

I have not tried them yet, but it is on my list to buy.

Thanks thewayne...This is just what I was looking for...I have a 95 lb golden/border collie mix...She loves the water but I can't let her in because of the way she lunges in and out of the water. I can also take this to the lake and use on the pontoon boat to help her in and out of that too...Thanks for the link...what a great idea

My 20 x 40 IG pool is a favorite swimming hole for my three siberian huskies. I have one that will go in and swim laps for 15 minutes or so without stopping. They climb in down the fiberglass steps and never touch the liner. When they want to get out they swim to the steps and walk out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.