test kit advice - urgent !

ok, pool gurus...i screwed up. i went to all the local pool stores to see if they had any taylor kits and only one place had any, and all they had was the k-1004, so in my haste to get a test kit a.s.a.p. i got it. upon checking it out, i found it didn't test for cya and, as well, it only reads up to 5 when testing for clorine. as i've read on many posts here, i need to be able to maintain shock at around 15 (as per the pool calculator) and beings my kit won't read to 15, i've just been guessing at my shock level. i think i need to get a better test kit, but i need to make sure the next one i get is the RIGHT one. the water has been clear using this kit combined with some strips to guesstimate cya, but the water is starting to go cloudy on me and i don't know why. i've got a big 4th of july party coming up and i wanna make sure the water is clear, so i wanna get a new test kit NOW ! so i ask you, oh experts of the pond, which kit can i test higher clorine levels with as well as cya and all the other stuff? i will call to some other pool stores to locate whatever y'all suggest, but if i don't find it, how fast do they ship from the place you recommend here at TFP ? thank you all so much for your advice.

thanx for the quick replies guys ! i think i'm gonna order the tf-100, but i have a question - in the kit comparison link waterbear gave me, i'm seeing it says there are only 8 cya tests worth of reagent in the kit, or am i not reading that correctly? if i AM reading that correctly, would i need to get extra reagent for that test, because i'm assuming you need to test cya alot more than 8 times, wouldn't you ?

delfargo said:
thanx for the quick replies guys ! i think i'm gonna order the tf-100, but i have a question - in the kit comparison link waterbear gave me, i'm seeing it says there are only 8 cya tests worth of reagent in the kit, or am i not reading that correctly? if i AM reading that correctly, would i need to get extra reagent for that test, because i'm assuming you need to test cya alot more than 8 times, wouldn't you ?
You shouldn't need to test CYA that often. when you are adjusting it you might need to do it 3 or 4 times. Once it's where it needs to be once a month testing is probably enough. You can order more reagent if you want. It will keep.

thanx 'bear - i just assumed the cya level fluxuated more than that. it's good to know i don't need to be testing for that too often. i'm gonna go order that kit RIGHT NOW ! thank you all for your help in this matter, but i'm just warning you in advance, once i get the kit, i know i'll be asking for more of your help. this is a great forum. i just wish i'd found it last year. thanx again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
in the upper left corner of the page right above the TFP logo is a link that says '0 new messages'. click on that. you will see on the left side of the new page in a box a bunch of options. click on 'compose a message'. On the new page that appears you will see on the left 'send to and beneath it 'usernames'. Enter Duraleigh in that box. Enter a subject in the subject box above the message box, type your message, and click send. When he ansers you will see '1 new message' at the upper left of any forum page. click on that to read it.

If you need to communicate to/with Tftestkits, please use the email provided [email protected]. DO NOT use a PM and assume it will get answered.

We monitor the email constantly but the PM's to me are unrelated to our ability to respond to your questions.

(delfargo, you're kit will ship this afternoon....Thanks!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.