Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: test kit advice - urgent !

1. Back To Top    #1

test kit advice - urgent !

ok, pool gurus...i screwed up. i went to all the local pool stores to see if they had any taylor kits and only one place had any, and all they had was the k-1004, so in my haste to get a test kit a.s.a.p. i got it. upon checking it out, i found it didn't test for cya and, as well, it only reads up to 5 when testing for clorine. as i've read on many posts here, i need to be able to maintain shock at around 15 (as per the pool calculator) and beings my kit won't read to 15, i've just been guessing at my shock level. i think i need to get a better test kit, but i need to make sure the next one i get is the RIGHT one. the water has been clear using this kit combined with some strips to guesstimate cya, but the water is starting to go cloudy on me and i don't know why. i've got a big 4th of july party coming up and i wanna make sure the water is clear, so i wanna get a new test kit NOW ! so i ask you, oh experts of the pond, which kit can i test higher clorine levels with as well as cya and all the other stuff? i will call to some other pool stores to locate whatever y'all suggest, but if i don't find it, how fast do they ship from the place you recommend here at TFP ? thank you all so much for your advice.
    30' round above ground - 21000 gal. (shade ONLY in the evening),
    pentair dynamo 1.5 hp pump,
    pentair sand dollar 150 lb.sand filter,
    bbb method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: test kit advice - urgent !

The test kit that Dave S. (duraleigh) sells is top notch and he normally ships same day you order http://www.tftestkits.com
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

This should be helpful to you:
    category/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

4. Back To Top    #4

Most of the posts I've seen seem to suggest that guys get thier TF-100 within 2 days of ordering. I would think you'd be hard pressed to beat that even if you managed to order a k-2006 from the pool store. I like my TF-100 and you get customer support via the forum!

http://www.tftestkits.com/
    Jacuzzi 12x24 Oval AG 48" about 7500G
    Jacuzzi Maxiplus 190 sand
    Sta-rite/aquatools 2 speed 1HP (JWP series)
    Intex 8110 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

I would just consider it lessoned learned and buy the TF-100 kit. You'll most likely get it fast and your headaches will be over!
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

6. Back To Top    #6

thanx for the quick replies guys ! i think i'm gonna order the tf-100, but i have a question - in the kit comparison link waterbear gave me, i'm seeing it says there are only 8 cya tests worth of reagent in the kit, or am i not reading that correctly? if i AM reading that correctly, would i need to get extra reagent for that test, because i'm assuming you need to test cya alot more than 8 times, wouldn't you ?
    bbb method.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by delfargo
    thanx for the quick replies guys ! i think i'm gonna order the tf-100, but i have a question - in the kit comparison link waterbear gave me, i'm seeing it says there are only 8 cya tests worth of reagent in the kit, or am i not reading that correctly? if i AM reading that correctly, would i need to get extra reagent for that test, because i'm assuming you need to test cya alot more than 8 times, wouldn't you ?
    You shouldn't need to test CYA that often. when you are adjusting it you might need to do it 3 or 4 times. Once it's where it needs to be once a month testing is probably enough. You can order more reagent if you want. It will keep.

8. Back To Top    #8

thanx 'bear - i just assumed the cya level fluxuated more than that. it's good to know i don't need to be testing for that too often. i'm gonna go order that kit RIGHT NOW ! thank you all for your help in this matter, but i'm just warning you in advance, once i get the kit, i know i'll be asking for more of your help. this is a great forum. i just wish i'd found it last year. thanx again.
    bbb method.

9. Back To Top    #9

say...anybody know how i can reach duraleigh ? i'm having trouble ordering this kit from his website. thanx.
    bbb method.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by delfargo
    say...anybody know how i can reach duraleigh ? i'm having trouble ordering this kit from his website. thanx.
    He told me the other day he was having some internet problems Try sending him a PM.

11. Back To Top    #11

thanx 'bear, how would i go about sending him a pm ?
    bbb method.

12. Back To Top    #12

in the upper left corner of the page right above the TFP logo is a link that says '0 new messages'. click on that. you will see on the left side of the new page in a box a bunch of options. click on 'compose a message'. On the new page that appears you will see on the left 'send to and beneath it 'usernames'. Enter Duraleigh in that box. Enter a subject in the subject box above the message box, type your message, and click send. When he ansers you will see '1 new message' at the upper left of any forum page. click on that to read it.

13. Back To Top    #13

test kit up-date........just to letcha know, all is well. i think the trouble was at my end, but the order went through and i'll be testing my water the right way in a few days. thanx for your help.
    bbb method.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

If you need to communicate to/with Tftestkits, please use the email provided tftestkits@hughes.net. DO NOT use a PM and assume it will get answered.

We monitor the email constantly but the PM's to me are unrelated to our ability to respond to your questions.

(delfargo, you're kit will ship this afternoon....Thanks!)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School