FC over the winter

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
When I closed my pool I followed the instructions on here. Shocked it and let FC fall to half shock level. I did use algaecide. That was second week of Oct. I have a new ultralocII cover. I opened a section to drain some water and tested FC with Taylor test kit. I am guessing the water temp is in the 40's in NJ... I did not check it directly. Did not turn pink at all. Does temperature have any affect on test results? Should I be concerned with the zero reading? I remember reading recommendation on here not to put a floating puck holder in the pool for the winter... but don't recall why. Seems it would help keep some level of FC in the pool over the winter. Pouring jugs of bleach in will not really disperse too well. Should I be concerned or just leave it alone.

Just leave it alone. Open as early as practicable in the Spring and your pool will be fine. Trying to do something now could be counterproductive.

My bet is your pool will be quite clear when you open but even if not, you will know what to do.

Excellent! Thanks!

I had lowered the water to 16" below the coping before the cover was installed, since that is is what the manufacturer recommended. Then the installer said that it was not necessary to go that low... just below the skimmers would have been fine. When we got some snow, the cover went down to water level and I was concerned that it was too much stress on it, but it bounced back fine when the snow melted. I think I will leave the water higher from now on and not pump it down to 16". But my shelf has 3 color cascade bubblers, and I am concerned about water getting into the niches and freezing. I had removed the lights and drained the niches, and the cover installer stuck some foam in there saying that would keep it from cracking if water got in and froze. Seems like there has to be a better way to ensure the floor niches don't freeze and crack. I am not sold on the foam doing any good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.