New Saltwater Pool, Nothing but trouble! Help!!

Jan 9, 2014
10 months ago construction was finished on a 17,500 gallon plaster pool and 7*7 hot tub. Hired a "pool guy" to service so I would never have to worry. I begin to notice these white flakes floating around in my pool and sticking to the plaster and asked the "pool guy" what they were, he said not to worry he would add acid and clean the swg and it would go away. Flakes disappeared for about a month as I noticed the "pool guy" would add a gallon of acid to my pool every week for two months. I decided to get the water professionally tested at two locations. All recommended levels were off significantly. Fired the "pool guy" and started on whats been a chemical buying spree for 8 months. Not only have the flakes returned I noticed last night while using the hot tub there are calcium nodules all over the plaster. Family and I love the pool but it's been a pain in my you know what to keep the water right. I clean the swg every month and because its so cold I only turn it on when we use the hot tub. How do I get my hardness and Alkalinity down? What's up with the White Flakes? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm done trying to do this myself......

Cleaned the filter last month

I just tested the water:

8.4 PH (Just added acid to reduce)
Hardness excess of 800
100 CYA
FCI/TCI 3
TA 180

Welcome to the forum. :wave: You have quite a few issues going on so let's seperate them out a bit.
I'm done trying to do this myself
If you mean that, then you must start reading and learning and not try to fix everything all at once.

YOu measure pH at 8.4 (how did you test that high? What test kit are you using?) and then add acid but you don't say how much you added or what your target was.

What is your current pH? Let's get that solved and then move on to the other issues.

Please, please, please - take the time, first order a testkit (price looks expensive, but way cheaper when you get things tight, cause you will never go to a pool store again, and the chemicals are simple, abundant, and easy) as in "duraleigh" link on signature, then start reading. You will not regret it. It only takes about 2 minutes to test 3 components, FC, PH, AK and another 2 minutes to adjust water, but you have to understand how things are done here. Empowerment and knowledge are a great feeling when it come to the pool. It's so simple you will wonder why pool guys charge so much, too.

Bought some test strips to check all the levels.

Added a gallon of acid yesterday.

Today's results per the test strip:
FCI 3
TCI 5
TA 120
PH at 7.0
TH 800+
CYA 40

I've been reading quite a bit on the forum and it seems I'm greener than I thought.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sorry, but you must not have reach the point in your research to see that we have found that test strips are extremely unreliable and inaccurate ... just not very helpful. We also have found that test results you get from a pool store are really bad as well.

If you want to take control, you need one of the drop based Recommended Test Kits.

Proof that strips and often pool store testing are often inaccurate- By some magic the CYA suddenly went from 100 to 40 in one day. If ONLY that were possible you'd be a millionaire! LOL

TF-100 test kit is worth *every* penny. Do consider it STAT! :cool:

Please point me in the direction of the best testing kit. I've been using the pool math and All levels are good except for the hardness still reading north of 600. It seems it's time to drain and refill , problem here is municipal water is hard as a rock!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
montzman said:
Please point me in the direction of the best testing kit. I've been using the pool math and All levels are good except for the hardness still reading north of 600. It seems it's time to drain and refill , problem here is municipal water is hard as a rock!

The TF100 is the kit I recommend.
http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

Test your city water and see what the CH is, and post that here too. It may be that you simply are going to have to keep a close eye on TA and pH.