Threaded PVC Question

Bama Rambler said:
Well, maybe. I prefer paste, but they should have a sealant applied to them whatever you use and prefer. If that's t-tape then yes they get taped.

What type of sealant could I use to replace the tape? I'm re-plumbing my system and it looks like the prior owner did use sealant as you can see if all over the threads...

Some here will disagree with me, but the threaded fittings manufacturers recommend -never- using tape, only a good PVC thread paste/sealant.

But by all means yes, use a thread sealant for your pump connection.

Not arguing about manufacturers recommendations, but we have used teflon tape for over 30 years on all our threaded fittings and haven't had an issue. May not be the correct way to do it but that is the way we have done it.

swimcmp said:
Not arguing about manufacturers recommendations, but we have used teflon tape for over 30 years on all our threaded fittings and haven't had an issue. May not be the correct way to do it but that is the way we have done it.

Yup. I know it will do just fine for a pro, but the sealant is much more goof proof for Average Joe.....it's pretty easy to under wrap or over wrap with tape, but paste sealant is "self-adjusting".

Male PVC into Female Metal are fine for tape, but I would never recommend using tape in PVC to PVC threads, unless you're in a pinch......

The argument of "tape" vs. "pipe dope" is as old and unsolvable as is the argument about which type filter is best.

I prefer to use "dope" on anything an inch or more....teflon on the smaller diameter. I can't tell you exactly why, it just seems to work better for me.

The point is, how ever you are used to doing it is the best way. If you are not used to threaded PVC at all, dope is probably a little more bulletproof and "self adjusting" as stated above.

I agree with you Dave.....it doesn't hurt to explain to any "newbies" a best way, however.

To each his own, and if it ain't broke don't fix it, and if it works for you, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

It's just as a manufacturer and supplier of this stuff I can definitively say that versus any warranty claims, if tape was used and it failed, we're off the hook.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.