Plumbing Help Needed...

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
My wife and I bought a house last may and along with it our first in ground pool. The woman that owned the house prior to us never brought the pump and filter inside for the Winter so prior to closing the pool I decided to cut all the hoses so I could remove the filter and pump. Everything was cemented in and could not be taken apart. I'm looking at adding unions on my plumping to make for easy setup and removal when the pool is opened and closed.

I'm having difficulty of coming up with a solution on how to make a removable fitting for the long tube that sends the water from the pump to the filter. You can see it as the upper flex tube pipe in the photo.

Any suggestions on how to plump this portion to make for easy set up and removal?
Should I still use this type of flexible pipe or is there a better way to make this particular fitting.

All the old stuff is cut in half and cemented in place so I'll be using all new PVC.

Thanks!

The connection from the pump to the filter can be accomplished pretty easily with 3 PVC 90's and a union......making everything rigid but easy to remove the pump because of the union.

The suction lines may not be quite so easy. It looks like the 2 black pipes coming from the ground and going into the pump are barbed fittings secured with hose clamps.....is that correct?

duraleigh said:
The connection from the pump to the filter can be accomplished pretty easily with 3 PVC 90's and a union......making everything rigid but easy to remove the pump because of the union.

The suction lines may not be quite so easy. It looks like the 2 black pipes coming from the ground and going into the pump are barbed fittings secured with hose clamps.....is that correct?

Thanks!! Where would I put the union? I can't picture that..

On the suction lines - I am leaving the shut offs and have found a way to plumb the rest of those lines...

The unions can go on any of the straight pipes (I would probably do it right above the pump).

You could come up straight out of the pump to the same level as the filter input, run a 90 straight forward above the basket (assuming you can still open the lid and take the basket out), then turn 90 toward the filter, and then 90 into the filter.

Although if you are redoing the suction side too, you could go up to the filter level, turn 90 diagonally toward the filter and then use a 45 and 90 to enter the filter ... kind of the way the plumbing looks in the picture.

I would place the union on the horizontal pipe that would go to the filter. Anywhere along that horizontal run would work.

Closer to the pump would be the neatest for removal but you may not have enough clearance to get the union in the correct position as the top of the pump may interfere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.