current condition evaluation of quarts aggregate

Dec 28, 2013
apollo beach,fl
Hello!

Need some opinions here. Replaster or ? acid wash OR Just fill and go and go with it a few more years?

Long story but let my pool go to Crud by lack of maintenance and now have to pay the piper.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72597&p=603766&e=603766

This is some quartz aggregate (can't recall, probably florida gem or something, was not the diamondbrite brand that i recall), it was replasted 10-12 years ago. From what i recall this involved chipping off loose original marcite (pool was original 25 year old marcite) and replastering.

There's a noticable green haze, and rough spots generally all over, i'm not sure if the haze is from the old 25 yr old solar which had copper iirc (and was recently removed) or from my spazzing out with algaecide or general lack of keeping things up well last few years (all of the above i'd guess!).

Some pics, bad light today but hopefully legible

https://picasaweb.google.com/1048988907 ... qqi9pjKjQE

I've tapped out the entire shell, the only bonding spots are 2 maybe 2 square feet each, rest seems well bonded.

I'm kinda hoping to buy another year or 2 out of it...but if that seems hopeless i may get some quotes. I'm really wondering if a strong acid wash may help even things out at the expense of a little roughness as there's no major bonding areas aside from 2 and nothing is worn to the concrete.

Thanks for any help/insight!

If you are not loosing water ... then the condition of the surface is purely cosmetic and you can wait as long as you want.

The pictures are hard to tell, but could certainly be a combination of calcium scaling and metal staining. Either of which you can either try to clear up, or just ignore as they are cosmetic.

Hi jason, yes that's what I'm leaning towards too. I've tested an area with a very low acid wash concentration, and it helped a little. I was going to do some more testing with a bit higher concentration, then do the whole thing. Meanwhile put in new equiptement. Ride it out a few more years and budget for a redo, in the meantime like we discussed in the other thread get a handle on understanding chems better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.