45 degree connectors or curve

Mar 15, 2011
Hi guys,

Sorry for my multiple questions as a noob - I have adopted a pool which will be renovated in next few weeks - so there's a few things I need sorted before then...and the folks here have been great.

I need to run some piping around my bean shape pool - and I think I am becoming a bit obsessive about reducing friction and increasing flow for my low speed pump I will buy. I know 45 degree connectors are better than 90 degree ones to reduce friction - or is it better if I bend the pipe to have a natural curve....with no sharp angles? I can bend the 50mm piping by filing with sand and heating. I am not sure if this is an overkill - or if it will make a difference over time. Pool is 9m x 5m.

Kind regards,
Mil

Attachments

• Pool-piping.png
    Pool-piping.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 43
and I think I am becoming a bit obsessive about reducing friction and increasing flow for my low speed pump I will buy.
Yes, you are. When you do the math, there is little difference in the total head between using one fitting over another.

You would spend your time better choosing the pump and filter that best suits your needs and let the plumbing take care of itself.......it just doesn't matter that much.

Also, please tell us the city and state in which you live......it makes a difference.

Even though your subjects change, it is also generally better to keep you ideas and questions under one thread. It makes it much easier for responders to see your whole "story" and respond accordingly.

duraleigh said:
and I think I am becoming a bit obsessive about reducing friction and increasing flow for my low speed pump I will buy.
Yes, you are. When you do the math, there is little difference in the total head between using one fitting over another.

You would spend your time better choosing the pump and filter that best suits your needs and let the plumbing take care of itself.......it just doesn't matter that much.

Also, please tell us the city and state in which you live......it makes a difference.

Even though your subjects change, it is also generally better to keep you ideas and questions under one thread. It makes it much easier for responders to see your whole "story" and respond accordingly.

I am from Sydney Australia.
I thought because my question relate to different topics - I need different threads and titles. Sorry - I am new to this.

I am placing down new plumbing - so I want to take the opportunity to do it right - since we have to dig holes etc. 40mm pipes vs 50mm pipes make a difference - as so the number of turns - so I am told - not sure how much of a difference in terms of $$$ over many years.

Since I am setting up new equipment - I want to get it right.

Skimmer 40mm connectors

It's always hard when to decide a new thread but, for the most part, keeping your "history" together gives us a better picture of your pool story and allows us to give better advice.

Pipe size and fittings has been discussed many times before and, while I cannot offer the pr4ecise math, I can tell you that 2" pipe will be a significant improvement in flow (head loss) and worth the small cost to go ahead with it. The amount of turns and the kind of turns have VERY little to do with the total friction loss and you would be wise to simply put in standard 90's and make the installation much more practical.

Far, far and away in energy savings will be the type pump and filter you choose......pipe size plays a part, fittings and turns almost inconsequential.

As you read and learn more, you will probably see the advantages of a 2-speed pump over a single speed or perhaps a VS pump if you are so inclined.

Additionally, the single biggest power savings will be how long you run your pump. As a rule, most pool owners run their pump more than is necessary. Running the pump adequately but not too much will be the single largest energy saver you can apply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.