Keeping the pool open in the winter in freezing weather

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
I have kept my pool open the last few winters. I always run the pump if it gets below freezing, which is unusual here in Atlanta. We are having a super cold snap now. I am just leaving the pump running 24 hours. Is that the thing to do?

If the power went off, and the water in the pump froze, would it ruin the pump? Would any other part of the system be damaged?

If you lost power, your pump, filter and plumbing could all crack. Putting a tarp over the equipment with a lamp under can help keep stuff warm. If the power goes out, you should open the pump and drain it and drain the filter to hopefully prevent damage.

Likely running 24 hours is excessive unless the temp is staying below freezing.

Thanks for the info. I guess you are correct that keeping it on 24 hours was excessive, but one night it went down to 7 degrees, and it was only coming up to 40 during the day, so I figured better safe than sorry.

I also wonder about erring in the other direction. For example tonight it is supposed to go down to 30. The hourly forecast says it will only be 30 for a few hours in the middle of the night. I wonder if there is any reason to even turn the pump on for the night.

I agree with jb. I let my pool go without freeze protection and we get below freezing for up to 8 hours a night and down to 20F and still no freeze damage.

But when it does get really cold there is another option other than running the pump. Assuming your equipment is above pool level, you could just drain the pad equipment by opening the pump basket and filter vent.

you could just drain the pad equipment by opening the pump basket and filter vent

Unfortunately the filter vent if broken. Actually if the filter froze it would not be a great loss because I need to replace eventually. I would hate to have the pump freeze. I did not realize that just opening the pump basket would drain enough water to protect it.

Another related question. How much does the electricity cost to run a pump for 12 hours?

Water/Ice expands about 10% when freezing so having just a little air can prevent most freeze damage. Removing the pump basket lid should be enough to prevent freeze damage but opening the drain plugs as well would ensure no damage.

Also, the filter would probably be the last thing to freeze because it has the most water. It would probably take a couple of days for the filter to freeze solid. The first things to freeze are small hoses such as those used for cleaners. Those can freeze in a couple of hours. But generally, it takes longer than 8 hours for the main piping to freeze unless it gets really cold (<20F).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.