New to pool ownership - first tests done - Doing the SLAM

nate

Jan 7, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Thankfully this place exists!

So new to pool ownership, took some samples into a local shop (it was getting green & some slight algae growth) - added some chlorine & salt.
Then acid & buffer.

Things have been going well - of course I got a hunch about the local pool shops after taking in a perfect 7.6PH sample & got told it was 8.1 & I needed lots of acid & buffer (which they could easily supply).

Just got a Taylor K1006 (think that was the number - the recommended one on here anyway!) & did everything.
My FC has been >3 (previous kit didnt read past that) so i've had the SWG off trying to drop it - 2 days straight.

Current Levels:
Salt - 5,800ppm
PH - 7.7 (keeps wanting to hover around 7.8)
FC - 1.2ppm (as above, was dropping this)
CC - 0.5ppm (probably less, 1 drop turned the sample - could require 1/2 drop etc)
CYA - 80ppm
TA - 110ppm
CH - 140

Pool details:
- 50,000L
- Concrete with pebbles (referred to as "plaster" I think?)
- SWG, watermaid EZ300 I think (Aussie thing)
- In Sydney Australia (i.e. its sunny & not 3ft of ice at the moment)
- Its between 2 houses, so only gets the middle of the day direct sunlight, 10am-4pm

----------------

I've done the reading/research & i'm just after a confirmation of what i'm thinking...
- Get the FC back up to where it needs to be ASAP (as per recommendations here) FC = 4
- Get the CH up where it needs to be ASAP (as per recommendations here) CH = 300
- see how its all sitting after that & then *maybe* tackle lowering the TA

I'm not too worried about a 7.8PH, and would just want to get all levels in their windows & then start to learn where my pool wants to sit.

comments?
leave TA & re-asses after levels are OK for a while?

Re: New to pool ownership - first tests done

Welcome to TFP!

Looks like you got the K2006. I think your assessment is pretty good. Definitely get that FC back up, use bleach so it is immediate. Do you still see algae? If so and with the low FC, you may need to follow the SLAM process.

Raising the CH is good. No hurry on the TA.

yeah sorry - K2006

No algae, in fact its still been getting better! (FC only dropped in the last 2 days - so hasnt been <3 until then)
I gave the pebbles a scrub & vacuumed the left over debris - all caught by the skimmer box sock & tossed in the bin (had to empty it twice!)
I've also added 2 cups of DE to the filter, no change in PSI - but its definitely clearer!

OK FC was back up to 3 this morning (been running the SWG a little higher) - good that i'm learning the correct setting etc!
I've added a little chlorine to get it back up quickly - a tiny amount of algae has appeared on the bottom :\
So i'll scrub that on the weekend & vacuum it up instead of the shock.

Added 1/2 the calcium - so will re-test this arvo & check again! (need more calcium - 8kgs! - 18lb)

PH looked crazy high after the calcium, but we'll let it all settle.

If you see algae, it is too late and you need to follow the SLAM Process. There is likely a LOT more in there that you just can not see yet consuming your FC.

And once the SLAM process is complete, you can never ever ever!!! let the FC drop below 4ppm based on the FC/CYA Chart and your CYA of 80ppm with a SWG. There is NO wiggle room left in the SWG numbers. So you should likely try to keep it around 5-6ppm to be safe.

Alright... that makes sense
Algae appears to have been "hovering" - after it first popped up, but seems it never really left & was just eating the FC.

Shock time then :(

Also explains why it popped up to begin with when I got the pool...
- zero CYA
- minimal salt
- bugger all FC
previous owner didnt really get it sorted it seems & let it go.

Re: Just got my kit and completed tests

Hmmm the SLAM guide doesnt mention anything about swimming while slammin?

Also what about "post" SLAM - do you just turn off the SWG & let it drop to the range?
or do you turn down the SWG & let it slowly drop?

Usually we recommend you turn off the SWG for the entire process and use bleach to maintain the SLAM FC levels. After complete, then you let the FC drift down and turn the SWG back on.

Ideally you do not swim during the SLAM process, but in reality it is safe to do so ... the active chlorine level will just be a little more harsh on skin/eyes/suits, but still usually lower than the active level found in public non-stabilized pools.

As a note: We say not to swim during the SLAM process when the water is green/cloudy and you can not see the bottom of the pool. This is more a drowning concern than it is a chlorine concern.

Update with SLAMing...

12:00 - FC = 29
16:30 - FC = 23.5
Cloudy day, no direct/strong sunlight & a little rain (<2mm)

You can smell the chlorine when you put an arm in there, but its not worse than a public pool really (over a decade as a competitive swimmer allows me to scientifically state that!)
Mrs & some kids went for a quick swim = 100% fine with no issues.

Water clarity is fine - no cloudyness
Sweep & vacuum showed some algae growth (in skimmer sock), but very minimal to the other week when it was noticeable.
in fact clarity has never been an issue, just colour & some growth on the pebble surface.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The true test to see if your done with the SLAM process once clear is to do an overnight Chlorine loss test. Testing FC from dark in the evening until before first sunlight in the morning. If you drop more than .5 FC then you are not done as it means there are still organics in the water (this assumes no rain, swimming, etc. during the night)

Isaac-1 said:
The true test to see if your done with the SLAM process once clear is to do an overnight Chlorine loss test. Testing FC from dark in the evening until before first sunlight in the morning. If you drop more than .5 FC then you are not done as it means there are still organics in the water (this assumes no rain, swimming, etc. during the night)

yep thats what i'll use...
down to 26 this morning, so another dose to get it up to 31 & see how it is this arvo!

I'll be glad when its sorted :)

Down to 19 this arvo (only tested twice today due to work)
Went to get more chlorine, they didnt have any liquid - but they had granular.

Didnt realise it was a lot stronger (good thing!) and adds Calcium hardness - which is something I need too!
so probably should've shocked with that to begin with?
Its certainly a lot cloudier - should pass soon though!

Generally the granular ends up costing more per ppm of FC than the liquid.

And only cal-hypo adds CH, Dichlor adds CYA. Be careful.

And the cal hypo can cause clouding itself.

krazykrames said:
nate said:
Went to get more chlorine, they didnt have any liquid - but they had granular.

Bleach is the same as liquid chlorine.
That is a good point. Are you only looking at the pool stores? It is often cheaper to just buy bleach from the grocery stores ... or some hardware stores carry it as well.

Yeah I know - it was on a crazy special at the hardware store & I need to increase the CH a lot.
4kg of 700g/kg = $29
10kg of 650g/kg = $29***
15L of 12.5% = $10
All other levels have been stable - just didnt have the CH & salt tests until now.

update -
- Morning test showed high levels of FC, so we're getting there. (cant remember numbers - but very close to shock levels)
- skimmer sock looked clean - then on closer inspection had a creamy crud all over it
- still cloudy, but not much
- filter is DIRTY! normally sits at 0psi on low, it was at 2! High speed up from 75psi to 95psi. Gave it a backwash, all back down & added some DE back into it.

So we're definitely taking stuff out of the water!
I sprinkled some granular onto the algae places & they've cleared up nicely too, quick brush, now its settling before the vacuum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.