Pool Pump recommendation for VS Pool Pumps

Dec 25, 2011
Charleston, SC
I have a 3/4 hp single speed pool pump and wanted to replace it with a new energy efficient pump. I also have a booster pump and the Pentair Intelichlor system with a Intermatic mechanical timer for the booster pump and the primary pump. I am looking at Hayward Max-Flo VS, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward Ecostar VS, or Pentair Inteliflo. I tried to look at the Energystar website to find an energystar rated piece of equipment but that listed too many pumps. I have a couple questions perhaps you could assist me with (I would be so thankful for any advice at all)

1. Is there any benefit to keeping with Pentair since I have the Intelichlor already? If in fact any automation on the new VS Pentair pump could link with the saltwater cell?
2. Is there any reason I can't do this install myself..I can hook up electrical and plumb in the lines..however is there special programming needed for the VS pumps that would lend itself to a pro install versus DIY?
3. Is there any benefit to 2 speed vs multi speed for a 3/4 hp motor? Energy efficiency is a big factor to me but if it doesnt return on its investment, its a mute point. We pay $.12/kwh
4. Can someone point me to the link on this forum on a detailed installation of VS pump? I know I have found it before but my searches have been unfruitful.
5. Aside from buying a pump...is there anything else I should get aside from PVC that is def handly for this install?
6. Any leads for the best priced pumps online?

Thanks so much!! Again I am very thankful for any assistance at all!!

Since you seem to have no issue with the current small pump and have cheap power, I would suggest just replacing the motor with a 2 speed motor. Your automation should be able to control the speeds assuming you have a free relay.

The Pentair VS would integrate better, but it is way way more pump than you would need and may take a long time to save more in electricity than the higher initial cost.

Edit: oops just realized you do not have automation besides the SWG. So brand would not matter. Either a new 2 speed or one of the smaller Haywards that have built in timers would work.

I've just tried to develop my own spreadsheet to compare the various pool pumps and figure my ROI but I'm not sure I did it right.
1. I don't know how to figure out the amps on many of the VS pumps. I could not figure out where to get this info. (See attached)
2. I looked at the Energystar Curve A gal/Wh to get the efficiency and thought perhaps I could use this to figure out how much I would spend annually based on my hours of operation, but again, I did not know how to utilize the efficiency to calc annual energy usage.

It wont let me attach my excel sheet so here is a dropbox link to my spreadsheet...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9owxtmtqf1who ... rison.xlsx

Thanks in advance for any assistance...MW

You are over thinking things I think. It is not that easy to do what you are trying to do. Mas985 has spreadsheets that do this already, still have to make assumptions.

Do you get a rebate on the small VS pumps? If not, get a 2 speed. Your power is you cheap to make the VS worth it I think.

No because you would turn down the output. The % setting is the amount of time it is generating. If you double the run time and reduce the % by half, you are producing the same amount of FC and thus the same wear on the cell.

Thanks for the link to the spreadsheet...looks like the total for operating cost for 10 years and equipment price of the Hayward Maxflo are the best bet for me, with Tristar VSP and Superpump coming in at 2nd third.

Hayward Max-Flo 2300VSP $872.49 ( operating costs for 10 years + equipment price)
Hayward Tristar SP3200VSP $1,184.75 ( operating costs for 10 years + equipment price)
Hayward Superpump 2600VSP $928.49 ( operating costs for 10 years + equipment price)

Looking to purchase one of these soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.