Air Bubbles from Jets only when Main Drain Valve is OPEN??

r8chel

Apr 2, 2012
Randall, Minnesota
16,000 gallon 14x28 IG Indoor Fiberglass pool with sand filter and pentair superflo pump.

After releasing the air from the filter, it takes about 15 minutes for the jets to start spewing (small) air bubbles. If I close the main drain valve about half way and leave the skimmer valve wide open, the bubbles almost immediately STOP.

I've removed the pump cap and checked to be sure the gasket was intact and everything looked good there.

What is going on?

THANK YOU!

~Rachel

Re: Air Bubbles from Jets only when Main Drain Valve is OPEN

If I close the main drain valve about half way and leave the skimmer valve wide open, the bubbles almost immediately STOP.
Puzzling.....and about opposite what I would expect.

So what happens if you then re-open the main drain valve? Immediate bubbles again?

Well, I am out of ideas then. The air has to be coming from the suction side of the main drain line but their appearance should be immediate. I have no clue why you are getting a delay. I would position the main drain valve in the 1/2 way position until a solution is found.

Could this possibly be an air leak in the main drain valve? (i.e. the suction side drawing in air through packing or a seal in the valve when it is in a certain position). I've had that happen on old valves.

hoosierrun said:
Could this possibly be an air leak in the main drain valve? (i.e. the suction side drawing in air through packing or a seal in the valve when it is in a certain position). I've had that happen on old valves.

I don't know. How would I find this out? What would I need to do?

Everything is only 7 years old.

r8chel said:
hoosierrun said:

I don't know. How would I find this out? What would I need to do?

Everything is only 7 years old.
It could easily be a misshapen O-ring or a scratch in the shaft, possibly even an out-of-round shaft and a brittle O-ring. Spray shaving cream all around the questionable valve and its connections. If the bubbles stop and/or you see the foam getting sucked in somewhere, you've found your leak. Jandy valves can be rebuilt, just google Jandy overhaul kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.