Evaporation???

Sep 11, 2013
Cocoa, fl
I had a feeling I was losing too much water so I had a leak guy come out and he found to tiny spots where water was leaking from around two different return jets, he fixed them. NOW my moms pool can go months without having to fill ( I know this since I am the one who maintains it) hers is vinyl or fiberglass type Inground, mine is plaster. I am loosing approx. 3 inches a week...pool leak guy says its evaporation. Well why don't my moms pool evaporate that much? I live five miles from her.
So I guess my question is....is it really possible to loose 3 inches a week from evaporation or am I still leaking from somewhere? Central florida east coast....and if it is possible how can I keep a well balanced (chemical wise) levels?

From what I've read before if the pool loses more than the bucket there's a leak. If it were evaporation they should lose the same amount or very close to the same amount.

Somebody with more experience should be able to shed some more light on this.

1/4 " daily is an average evaporative loss......it can vary but that's a decent average.

If you lose 1/2 inch daily in FL (3.5"/week), I think you have a small leak and should find that before you worry about balancing your pool water.

Be precise with your loss. Mark the edge of the water line and then see how long it takes to drop exactly one inch.

Or, measure exactly what it loses in a 24 hour period.....either way works. Report back.

I just filled the pool even with the spa spillover. Shut off pump,Now I will wait and see the difference in the spa loss and pool loss. They should be equal in loss. If the pool has a greater loss than the spa then I know for sure.sound like a good plan?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.