Auto-fill freeze protection?

Jan 4, 2014
We are expecting coldest temps in over 10 years here in the ATL area over the next few days. Does anyone have advice on how to protect the auto-fill line from freezing and cracking? It is pvc under pavers, comes out and connects to a flexible cloth-covered hose that then connects to the spigot coming out of the house.

Also, the pool pump comes on when temp drops below 35 but is there a need to protect any of the exposed pipes around the pump/heater?

I'm a new pool owner, this is only our second winter with the pool, and last winter was VERY mild. Temp is expected to go down to 3 degrees :shock: Monday and stay in teens on Tuesday! Any advice is much appreciated!

Any pipes under the pavers and underground are probably buried pretty deep so they should be protected from freezing. But with those temperature extremes, I would drain the pad equipment for extra protection. You can also tarp the equipment and put an incandescent light bulb underneath the tarp.

Thanks..we are going to hope for the best with the pump running and also covering the equipment with a car cover and placing an incandescent light underneath for warmth, and we disconnected the auto-fill line from the spigot. :pale:

mas985 said:
Any pipes under the pavers and underground are probably buried pretty deep so they should be protected from freezing. But with those temperature extremes, I would drain the pad equipment for extra protection. You can also tarp the equipment and put an incandescent light bulb underneath the tarp.

Newbie in NC here - 1st winter and elected to keep pool open. Planning to tarp and light for the next few days as suggested ( have auto that kicks pump on at anything below 34 degrees). Is it still necessary to drain pad equipment? We're supposed to see single digits for a few days and below freezing for the week. Thks!!

No one can answer that general question but you. I live in Raleigh. based on what the forecast I see, I would plan on covering with a tarp and running the pump 24/7. Should you do more? Hard to say.

If you drain your lines, any water above ground now will freeze.

There is great protection when water is flowing through your pipes. Whether or not it is enough after you tarp it is a judgement call only you can make.

If I understand correctly all items are flowing when the pump is running so why drain?
I believe that to be more applicable for much further North than we are. The temps there stay below freezing for much longer periods of time so running the pump 24/7 and counting on flow alone to protect your pipes is not practical.

The cold we'll get is below freezing for a very short period of time so running the pump makes far more sense to me.

There are several reasons to drain pad equipment over running the pump. First, a lot of things can and do go wrong including losing power and even freeze protection failing to work properly both of which have been reported multiple times on this forum. Draining the equipment is fairly easy to do when the pool water is lower than the equipment and alleviates the worry of those two things happening at exactly the wrong time. Also, running the pump may not protect all of the equipment. It depends on the layout and what freeze protection can operate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think Mark is right.. I am not sure freeze protection cutting on the pump sends water thru all the exposed pipes--
like the ones leading into the heater.. but as a new pool owner I have no idea how to drain the equipment, never thought I'd have to. Temps coming to this area are lowest since 1983. We covered everything on the pad with a canvas car cover held down by bricks and have a 200 watt bulb...and praying

It is pretty easy. For an IG pool with the equipment above ground, you should only need to remove the pump lid and maybe open the air vent in the filter. Gravity should do the rest. But you should be ok with the tarp and light bulb.

mas985 said:
It is pretty easy. For an IG pool with the equipment above ground, you should only need to remove the pump lid and maybe open the air vent in the filter. Gravity should do the rest. But you should be ok with the tarp and light bulb.

and pull the drain plugs from the pump strainer and impeller housing...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.