What do/would you guys use for plaster cracks?

marty

Jul 10, 2012
CA
What do/would you guys use for cracks? I know its a temp fix but that's ok for now until we save for re-surface.
Some kind of GBweld?

The kids messed with the valves, I have been gone a week when I noticed spa was drained. Could no water for only a week have caused this crack? I have the kids clean for a while so I didn't notice. It has not rained here for 2 months to raise the water table.
Thanks Guys!

Ps The crack is on the side of attached spa seat of a 40kgal pool.
[attachment=1:2hqzsh8s]IMG_20140103_133143.jpg[/attachment:2hqzsh8s]

Attachments

• IMG_20140103_133143.jpg
    IMG_20140103_133143.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 86
  • SpaCrack.jpg
    SpaCrack.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 85
Yeah, plaster will crack when dried out, but usually only hairline. That looks like movement to me, although perhaps it swells a bit when wet and closes. There are products around, one that is handy here in Australia is a kneadable epoxy putty called "Knead-it". You just pull it out of the tube, break off as much as you need and knead it in your hands until uniformly coloured. Then stick it where you want it. A chlorine-resistant urethane sealant would do it, too. Make sure it is "suitable for swimming pools".

You probably had the crack before the spa drained and when it dried out, it got more pronounced. That is a bench de-lamination and has no real fix other than to drain, fix and replaster. You can probably patch, and may have good luck, but it is probably going to migrate and eventually pop off. I honestly don't know what would happen over the long term because i usually have the customer fix it when he calls, and brings it to my attention.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.