Chlorine in Winter

Yes, I would maintain an FC level. You can bring your FC level up to SLAM level for your CYA level. With the colder water temp your FC level will hold a lot longer.

Algae can start at water temps around 60. Plus or minus a few degrees.

The chlorine continues to keep the water sanitary which is the main reason I maintain it during the winter. As noted, algae growth slows dramatically, and isn't as much of an issue. But chlorine consumption also drops dramatically, so it's easy to maintain.

Note that there is no reason to bring FC up to SLAM level if you're keeping your pool open unless you prefer to do that versus maintaining normal levels.

Just as a gage - in Houston, water temp 55-50 for the last few weeks (outside temp low 32-high 60), I have only been adding 1 cup of bleach every other day. Really slow consumption. FYI: PH/AK same, holds for weeks sometimes.

BillB said:
I'm running my pool through the Winter.
I've still been testing and keeping the proper balance.
Is there any use in maintaining a chlorine level when the water is probably around 45 degrees?
Yes. It's easier to prevent algae than get rid of it. Instead of fussing around with a cup at a time, I raise FC a couple points above minimum and go a few days or a week between additions.

All it takes is a good winter storm to blow all kinds of organic material in the pool and all your chlorine will get used up overnight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.