New to this, Polaris pool cleaner issues

Jan 3, 2014
Hello all

I'm a new pool owner, and so far I have been able to repair my pool cleaner, backwash valve, clean my filter, and many other small things thanks to resources on the internet like this. I'm a DIY guy, so this pool thing shouldn't be an issue... Thanks for providing the info!

I don't think any maintenance has been done to this pool for over 5 years.

My filter pressure was at 50 pounds before I cleaned it. Now it's at about 18. Water flow has increased dramatically! After I cleaned the filter, my Polaris 280 (I think that's what it is) stopped moving. I cleaned the in-line filter that was totally clogged, and now it moves, but only does wheelies, and the tail doesn't sweep. I've adjusted the float and the tail sweep pressure, but it floats on it's side or does wheelies.

Any ideas?

What uncfan1573 said.
The jet nozzle should be adjusted to the 11 O'clock position.
Raise it up out of the water (when the backup isn't running) and see if there is a strong jet of water coming out the back.
If there is not, you'll have to unclog it. If the nozzle isn't clogged, you'll have to open the sweeper and clean out the tube that feeds the jet. You'll see it when you open it up.
To get the tail to sweep, you'll just have to play with the pressure adjustment.

Thanks for the responses!

I figured it out, it was a rookie mistake.

The quick disconnect was stuck when we moved in, and I never repaired it. When I cleaned the filter and added DE, it clogged the screen on the QD. (I have a broken grid or 4, new set is on order) Once that was cleaned out, it started working fine again.

Thanks again!

RobInKeller said:
The quick disconnect was stuck when we moved in, and I never repaired it.
My Polaris quick disconnect wouldn't budge when I moved in. For the longest time I figured I just didn't understand how it worked, but it was a hassle not being able to disconnect it and it matched the diagrams I had so I kept at it. I progressively used more and more force. One day it started sliding in and out and about a week later I got it to rotate a little. Eventually I used all my strength and got it free. I lubed it properly and now it works easily. Geeze, that story's almost not safe for work.

I couldn't see signs that any seal on my pool had ever been lubed. Things work a lot better now and the tube of lubricant only costs a few bucks at the home store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.