How should I heat my pool?

Sep 11, 2013
Cocoa, fl
Common sense would tell me that solar would be the way to go for heating my pool, but I would like some input. My pool is approx. 15000 gal Inground,plaster. It is custom shaped with a beach area and spa recessed in the beach area. So any cover would have to be custom made. I live in central fl. But can't handle the cooler water temps. Anymore. I have a gas heater for the spa and pool but have not used it for the pool being I know it would be expensive. So is solar the way to go or what? And which solar is best for the money? Thanks for any input. Todd

Since you are looking for supplemental heating and live in Florida, solar likely would be a good option ... as long as you do not have unrealistic expectations. Like adding 10 degrees in the winter or something.

Although a cover helps tremendously with or without solar.

Solar can be a good choice as long as you have reasonable expectations, solar vs gas heat is much the difference between a power boat and a sailboat, with one you tell it where to go and how to get there, with the other you pick a desired destination and work with the resources available to get there, not necessarily in a straight line.

With solar this means accepting that the water will be a bit cooler after several cloudy days, but that if you plan ahead you can partly work around this by boosting the temperature a bit warmer than you desire in the days leading up to forecast cloudy periods assuming you have enough extra heating capacity.

As to which panel is best that depends on a number of factors particular to your site in general all of the major brands produce good products, there is a lot of marketing spin and attempts at vendor lock in included in their offerings. But when it comes down to it most of these proprietary features, like custom mating panel connectors are a minor factor. If you plan to have panels professionally installed I would be far more concerned with the quality of the installation work then in which of the major brands of panels they offer. And if you plan to do it yourself, I would suggest taking the time to learn about the better commercial panels available to the DIY market, and avoid the boxed kits as they simply contain too many compromises in the name of easy installation.

Ike

I was actually looking into this as well as a way o extend the pools season.

I started looking at the ones that were just black irrigation hose and adding a bypass. Now Im actually contemplating a panel style instead. Anyone know what are the best ones for a DYI install ? Ideally Id like to probably take them inside during the winter.

Thanks.

As long as you ensure they are drained, the panels should be fine in place during the winter.

I do not know which brand is better for the DIYer. I DIYed some used Heliocol, but they are pretty pro-installer as finding parts is a little difficult. And of course I have no warranty being that they were used and installed by me. But, I am not too concerned about that ... once installed, nothing really should go wrong with them.

jblizzle said:
As long as you ensure they are drained, the panels should be fine in place during the winter.

I do not know which brand is better for the DIYer. I DIYed some used Heliocol, but they are pretty pro-installer as finding parts is a little difficult. And of course I have no warranty being that they were used and installed by me. But, I am not too concerned about that ... once installed, nothing really should go wrong with them.

Awesome thanks ! See if my wife will let me buy em now :)

Best is going to be relative to how you plan to install them and where you are. For example I opted for a fairly rigid Techno Solis brand panel because I was installing on a shallow pitch metal R panel roof which has 1.25 inch high ridges every 12 inches and I was concerned about sagging and water being trapped in case of freezing. One of the downsides of these panels is they can not be tightly rolled like some of the more flexible panels so have to be shipped truck fright on a pallet (4x12 panels came on a wood framed palled about 7 ft tall with the panels bent in a U shape, think about as flexible as thin plywood).

As to ease of installation, I don't think you will see much difference from one brand to the next, some may have better mounting brackets, or couplers, but ease of install is about the same either way. I suggest downloading the installation manuals for a few brands you are considering and you will see most are basically the same, but some manuals are written better than others.

Ike

I actually have a set of Aqua THERM panels that I would be willing to sell you for a good price. I used them for 5 or 6 seasons and they work excellent. I took them down because they were poorly installed on my roof and I couldn't keep the roof from leaking. I was planning on putting them over a terrace or the carport where a leak would be easy to spot and repair, but I never got around to it, and now I heat my pool with a wood stove which is good solution for me (I live on a farm).

If you are interested in them let me know: korson at southern edu

tdkorson said:
I actually have a set of Aqua THERM panels that I would be willing to sell you for a good price. I used them for 5 or 6 seasons and they work excellent. I took them down because they were poorly installed on my roof and I couldn't keep the roof from leaking. I was planning on putting them over a terrace or the carport where a leak would be easy to spot and repair, but I never got around to it, and now I heat my pool with a wood stove which is good solution for me (I live on a farm).

If you are interested in them let me know: korson at southern edu

Im interested in the wood fired style for sure ! Any pictures for this ? I'd love to be able to use it by burning my wood waste, I get so much wood from fallen trees in my yard id love this ? What do you use for a heat exchanger ?

A custom pool cover is no big thing, our cover is basically just a huge sheet of bubble wrap and "customizing" it meant unrolling it over the pool and trimming it to size/shape with a box cutter. We had been keeping the temps above 80 here without the cover but for the latest cold snap we put it on to hold what heat we could. Pool is at 70 now and rising.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.