Need to move/enclose equipment - where to start?

Sep 22, 2011
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to get started on a project to move and enclose my pool equipment.

Basics - 20k gallon unground pool, Hayward SP4010 1.5HP Northstar 2speed pump, Hayward 6060 boost pump, Hayward H400FDN heater, Hayward DE4820 filter, Intermatic timer, Hayward Colorlogic LED light- in Houston TX.

Here's what the builder put in:

DSC0043.jpg

I'm tired of looking at it, and more importantly, tired of listening to it. The pump is so loud I can hear it inside my house 30 feet away. (That's a separate issue too, I'm trying to decide whether to repair or replace it. It's only 3 years old, but I'm wondering if a new Pentair would be a better choice.)

Our fence sits on the neighbors property, and we've made an agreement with them to relocate it. I have to have the fence moved to the right, approximately 4' in the back, so that the telephone pole is on the other side.

So the equipment is going to need to be moved around, like flipping it 90 degrees to the right. I'd like to replace the 2 prefab concrete blocks with a poured slab, as over time they've settled and shifted and the equipment isn't sitting level. Then I'd like to enclose it in a shed, with the appropriate Hayward vent kit. Finally, it would be nice not to have to hike out into the backyard to get to the controls. Either moved to the patio or have some kind of remote control for it, especially the lights. Any suggestions on this are appreciated.

This is not a DIY project for me. The pool builder isn't interested in doing it. Since this involves construction (and permitting), electrical work, and plumbing (which probably should be done by someone who knows about pools), am I going to need to coordinate and contract this all out myself? I really don't know where to start!

Would reducing the noise of the pump help at all? A new pump shouldn't be that loud. Can you post a video/audio of the pump? It could be something to do with the plumbing so pictures of the pad would be useful.

Do you have a spa? What is the reason for such a large pump?

Here's some video:

Reducing the noise will help, I'm arranging to have the pump serviced. But I'd still like the equipment enclosed or hidden, not just sitting out in the middle of the yard.

There's no spa in the pool, I don't know if the pump is large or not - it's what came with the pool.

Why not put in a raised be like you have to right of the image to block the noise, or some plantings. Mark is the local pump expert.

I wouldn't move the equipment unless it absolutely was required. Plantings around it or fence would also be nice. Or a shed with plantings around it would also work.

Why not just build a shed over it where it sits now and vent the sides/back where it doesn't face the house. Then landscape it with shrubs or such. Whole lot cheaper!

That almost sounds a bad centrifugal switch but the Northstar doesn't normally have one. What ever it is, they need to fix it because that is not normal. The motor doesn't look stock nor new. How old is the pool?

Where in Houston are you??? I would throw the Northstar away and go with something else. They stopped making the Northstar a couple of years ago and in Hayward fashion parts will be hard to find soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the replies. I'd be happy not to have to move anything, but I must move the fence, and it will be running right next to the heater.
I did arrange to have the pump looked at, I'll have to figure out if its better to repair or replace depending on what I'm quoted for each. It was definitely new in the box in the summer of 2011.

Yay! Pump problem solved with a new Pentair Whisperflo. I have to keep walking over there to make sure it's running :)

If the heater can live up against a wooden fence, I'm inclined to leave it where it is and talk woodyp's suggestion... maybe a faux shed with 2 sides and cover. Pool tech who installed the pump didn't think the precast slabs not being terribly level are a problem.

mrswhitsie said:
I actually enclosed mine with a bunch of cinder blocks stacked up and put shutters on either side to allow venting. I made plywood cover and painted everything green and planted some greenery around it to disguise it.

I'd love to see a pic of what you've done. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.