Pool tile bulging out - connected behind fiberglass wall?

Jan 1, 2014
Hi. I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm posting this correctly. I have a kidney bean shaped pool, 20,000+ gallons estimate, 10ft. diving well, fiberglass walls, and plaster bottom. I'm not sure how old the pool is. We bought the house 1.5 years ago. I'm looking to repaint the fiberglass walls this spring, but need to remove the pool tile at the top under the coping. The problem is, the tile is bulging out in several areas as if it's composed of ones strip of tile, not individual tiles. I have looked and looked online to a similar tile mechanism but I can't find one. I believe that the tile is somehow connected BEHIND the fiberglass wall. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? I was going to send pictures, but my cover is currently on. I will partially remove it to take pictures if need be.

I would like to remove this tile and install proper pool tile, but I'm not quite sure what I'm dealing with. Any suggestions?

Re: Pool tile bulging out - connected behind fiberglass wall

Welcome to the forum. :wave: I think we'll need some pics to get you some definitive info. Fiberglass and tile used to not bond well together so it may have been something special they used.

Once you get it off, you will need to use epoxy thinset and grout to put new tile on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.