Liner for inground cracking pool?

rabel

Jun 12, 2013
Austin, TX
I have a recently resurfaced gunite pool that cracks continuously. I'm in the pool about every 3 weeks or so putting pool putty on my nice colored gunite and it looks like Crud. These hairline fractures are definitely cracked and leaking, tested with dye. My experience has been that the longer I let them go the worse the cracks get.

So, resurfacing the pool with new gunite did not stop the cracking. My next best guess is to get a vinyl liner for my inground pool in the hopes that it will stop cracking - or rather, it might still crack but the vinyl will stretch a tiny bit and it won't turn in to a leak.

Am I crazy or is this a good idea? This is 12,500 gallon pool with an 8ft deep end.

Its possible to do this. You installed aluminum track to the edge of the pool and measure the custom liner etc. Although In practice these type of conversions typically have issues with water getting behind the liner and puddling on top of the old shell. So you might end up with wrinkles after a few years, but this might be your only realistic option other than this http://www.rhinolinings.ie/swimmingpools.html

If you go that route, you can install a track that a custom made beaded liner snaps into and is then covered with a seal. The vinyl liner then leaves you tile right where it is and is completely submerged. giving you many, many years of protection from UV. Mine is about 8 years old and looks and feels as if new.[attachment=0:3rvjjjwh]Pool_cornerbead.jpg[/attachment:3rvjjjwh]

Attachments

• Pool_cornerbead.jpg
    Pool_cornerbead.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 46
Thank you for your responses. I'll look into this now for warmer weather installation. I have a custom pool with steps and a little alcove in the deep end that might be a problem but I think I'm going to pay someone to spec and install the liner if it's possible to get one custom made so it's done right. My friends always say that they'd never get a pool after seeing all the problems I've had with mine but honestly if the darn thing wouldn't leak it's super easy to maintain (especially this season after changing to bleach and a TFTestkit).

Anyhow, thank you for confirming my suspicion that a liner may help prevent my pool from cracking and leaking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.