My tests versus Pinch a Penny tests

Dec 31, 2013
Hello all, I am a new Pool owner here in beautiful Clearwater, FL. I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit, and my total Alkalinity comes out to 70( number of drops times 10 to achieve color change). When I take the same water sample to Pinch a Penny, the number comes out to 110. Why is there such a difference? I see they are using the same reagents I am. Has anyone else had this issue? My PH climbs about .2 per day if I keep the "Water Decent" off. I let it bounce to around 7.8 and throw a Pint of acid in about every 4 days or so. I assume this is Normal for a new Pool.

I have read the Getting started portion of this site. I am using the numbers that are posted here to maintain my SWG Pool.

My Pool is 10,000 gal, SWG, Quartz interior(Plaster?) with a Hayward 3 speed variable set to run about 7 hours a day to turn over the water twice. the Pool is only 2 months old. about an inch or so evaporation a week. Chlorine is maintaining at 2.6 and Pool is screened in. Cyanuric acid is around 60+. Calcium is around 390.

Just to reinforce what Bama said, you are not only looking for the color to change, but for the color to stop changing after adding more drops.

My TA testing always gives me a slight change from green when the test is nearing the end. Another drop will turn the test pink and another drop will turn the test hot pink. Once the test turns hot pink, adding more drops will not change the color any more. This is the end of the test and in my case, I read the TA as the number of drops that it took to reach that hot pink color times 10.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.