Variable Speed Pump Recommendations

Dalandlord

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2011
It was recently brought to my attention that I am eligible for a $400 Utility rebate on any of the pumps listed below and if I pay someone to install it they are eligible for a $100 rebate to offset the cost of installing the pump. I know nothing about any of these pumps but I know enough about money to know they are a lot better deal for $500 Less. Does the $400-$500 off a VS pump make them worth buying over a two speed pump? My energy cost runs about 12.5 cents a KWH in winter and 13 cents a KWH in Summer.

Do any of you guys have knowledge of these pumps to recommend any one over the other? I like to get all the bang for my buck I can as I was planning on this upgrade when the old challenger 1.5 dropped dead but with this kind of discount if it is worth it I think I will put it to pasture before summer as the seal is leaking a little anyway. It would be nice to install while the temp is low and if I have a delay the pool won’t be going bad as fast as it would in the heat of summer. Any help is appreciated. This is the list as I copied it from the rebate website. Thanks in advance guys.

Manufacturer Horsepower Description Model #

Pentair 3 IntelliFlo VP 11012

Pentair 3 IntelliFlo 11018
Variable Speed Pump

Pentair 3 IntelliFlo VS +SVRS 11017

Pentair 3 IntelliFlo 11013

Sta-Rite 3 IntelliPro VS +SVRS P6E6XS4H-209L

Sta-Rite 3 IntelliPro VS - 3050 P6E6Y64H-209L

Waterway Plastics 3 Econo-VS Econo-VS

Waterway Plastics 3 Econo-VSA Econo-VSA

Zodiac 1.5 ePump JEP1.5

Zodiac 2.0 ePump JEP2.0

Well the rebate certainly makes it easier to recoup the cost over the 2-speed, but with your low cost of power it still may take some time .... depends on how much of a mark-up the dealer is charging and what he charges for install. You can find the IntelliFlo 11018 for around $900 online I think, but what would it cost you locally? Previously we have seen that it was still cheaper to buy online and install yourself ... due to large mark-ups.

BUT, there is also now a concern about warranties being much shorter if not installed by a professional, so even if you could do it yourself for cheaper than paying more and then getting the rebate, you may end up with a short warranty.

I'm actually interested in the same thing. I have no rebates but my pool pump has just gone comput....Wondering if the quote for the $1350 Inteliflo 1 hp is worth it or should I install myself. I'm fairly handy and can read a diagram and instructions. Is there some other posts that address how to install a VS Inteliflo pump and how hard it is or the merits of having the installer install instead? Thanks!

There is no such thing as a 1 HP Intelliflo, they are all bigger than that. Installing a VS pump could be considered easier than any other pump because the timer is built in. So it just needs the plumbing and a power source, and then programming.

I am going to check on the rebate a available to me but I didn't see anything that said I have to use an installer. It sounded like I would just get the $400 if I did it myself.

There is the Intelliflo i1 and the Pentair web site text says it is equivalent to a 1 HP Whisperflo which from the CEC test data it actually is pretty close to the 1 FRHP pump:

THE ENERGY-EFFICIENT, COMPLIANT SOLUTION FOR RETROFITTING SYSTEMS WITH SMALLER PLUMBING
IntelliFlo i1 Variable Speed Pump has a unique hydraulic platform that was specifically developed for compliance with certain flow rate regulations in specific geographical areas. In some regions, pool owners with smaller plumbing diameters may face regulations that restrict the rate of flow on replacement pumps in certain applications, thereby precluding them from using some of today's most energy-efficient pump models. The IntelliFlo i1 pool pump provides all the great features that have made our standard IntelliFlo pumps the best-selling industry standard, but is engineered to limit the flow to the equivalent of a 1 hp WhisperFlo® pump. Furthermore, IntelliFlo i1 pool pump has a max amp rating of 7 amps, which helps make retrofits easier in applications limited by an existing wire gauge size.

It uses the same impeller as the 1 FRHP so it is more a physically limited flow rate. It prevents some of the priming issues we have seen with the Intelliflo on 1 1/2" plumbing. If people would just set the priming/max speed lower, it wouldn't be a problem.

But if the OP does not have a controller or uses a simple controller, then one of the Hayward VS pumps might be a good option too:

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP2300VSP ... B00C76UUK0

Much better value IMHO.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.