Pool tile replacement questions

dscut

Jul 8, 2013
All,

I have been thinking about replacing missing tiles in my old pool > 15 yrs for quite a while yet I am not sure whether I am getting the right information to get the job started. Can someone help with the following questions?

a. What is the type of mortar or thinset to use? I know someone said latex based mortar but what ratio to use and what type of latex to use?
b. I saw mentioning of <3% ratio to use when choosing the correct tiles - the problems is that I have a hard time finding those tiles. HD and Lowes only have regular tiles and the rest of places are mostly online without physical stores. Where to get those tiles?
c. If we need to chip off all those thinset underneath, what tools to use and how deep to go?

I know this is just a list to get started but will really appreciate it if I can get some leads for this job.

Thanks!

A. thinset mortar is purchase prepackaged....no ratio

B. You are probably referring to moisture absorption. Low content like that is a porcelain tile........readily available.

C. You remove all the thinset you can to get back to solid substrate.

Don't want to discourage you but it's obvious you are just beginning to learn about tile. That is not the first DIY job I would tackle. It's not easy without prior experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.