SunTouch two solar valves

Oct 17, 2009
WoyWoy Australia
Hi

I have to rejig my plumbing to get the VRV to stay closed by getting more pressure on the return side .

I should be able to put a valve on the return solar pipe before it goes to the normal pool returns BUT.....

I have notice that the deep reurn in solar mode is not working , when I block one of the surface returns air will start coming from the deep return .

So I wish to put a two way actuated valve at the spot shown to direct all the water to the deep end . This valve will operated with the solar valve .

This give me enough pressure to close the VRV direct warm water to the bottom where its coldest and when solar is not on the VF intelliflo will still have it full flow .

I want to do this in solar only mode , I have a intellicom2 to operate the VF on external control so I use the VF menu instead of scrolling thru the Suntouch menu .

Can this be done / can I use Valve A or B in Solar only mode .

Dave

Attachments

• INTELLIFLO PLUMBING.jpg
    INTELLIFLO PLUMBING.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 118
Can I get valve A or B to activate in Solar only mode when solar comes on.

OR

use AUX 1 relay for the booster pump to activate a actuator controller when the solar comes on.

or use the pool/spa mode and give up the intellicom2 ????

There must be a way to do this.

or I might need a new controller.

You could wire two actuators off of the one Solar connection.

I would not put the load of both actuators on the Suntouch circuit board (Motherboard), but rather have the "Solar connection operate a relay which controls the two actuators attached to the original Suntouch 24VAC transformer wires.

[attachment=1:jsp3sz63]24VAC.jpg[/attachment:jsp3sz63]

[attachment=0:jsp3sz63]Dual actuators.jpg[/attachment:jsp3sz63]

I can combine these two drawing with the proper connection if you can not visualize it.

Hi Jerry
So the red/white from the transformer would go to the relay . The black from the two actuators would connect to the black from the solar terminal .
and the 4 others to the relay .
The reds from both actuators would connect to the same pin on the relay
same with the white ?? .
After reading a few different threads here on TFPs I had given up on configuring the ST and was thinking along your lines . I thought it would be more complex but .

A wiring diagram would be great if it's not to much . The 24vac relay would need how many poles ? .

Here you go

[attachment=0:1msp1s9x]Suntouch dual actuators.jpg[/attachment:1msp1s9x]

You only need one of the power wires from the solar connector. With a voltmeter, you want the wire which is not normally powered, either the Red or White.

Any 24VAC 2amp DPDT relay will work, normally the type depends on the space inside the enclosure (Small relay) or on a relay which has the ablilty to be mounted externally like the RIB2401D

jerryt said:
You only need one of the power wires from the solar connector. With a voltmeter, you want the wire which is not normally powered, either the Red or White.

So at the moment the red wire to the actuator is the powered wire , I have the intellicom2 connected to it . So the white wire would go to the relay ? and cap the red ? .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jerry you have been so much help thanks !!!!! just one more question

Ive ordered the relay and attached a pic of its wiring pin layout , do I have the N/C, N/O , and Comm in the right place ? .

Attachments

• 20131231_153449_resized.jpg
    20131231_153449_resized.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 88
Sticky said:
jerryt said:

So at the moment the red wire to the actuator is the powered wire , I have the intellicom2 connected to it . So the white wire would go to the relay ? and cap the red ? .

Just saw this question. I meant cap unused wires. If the red wire is used for the Intellicom2, you don't need to cap it.

It all worked out well , I have only just wired it up and it all works fine relay and second valve wise . thanks to Jerryt

Iam running solar at 27gpm and may get it a bit lower as the specs for the panels for optimum heat exchange say 4-5gpm per panel , there are three panels .

I may even add another panel it would heat the pool quicker and bring the needed flow rate up to 20gpm .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.