Pump outlet orientation

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Some time in the future, I'm thinking of replacing the 2hp behemoth I have now with a 1hp Hayward Power Flo LX. All of the pumps I've looked at online all had the output from the impeller in a vertical orientation, whereas I need one where the output is in a horizontal orientation. So, can the orientation of the output of the pump be changed, or do I have to order it as either a vertical or horizontal output??

TIA,
Mike

There are "Thru Bolt" pumps that allow you to rotate the discharge orientation on the pump, but these are usually smaller of 1/2 to 1.5 hp rating. There usually is not a pump trap in front of the suction of the pump either.
This design is different from the standard Hayward, Sta-rite, Jandy, Pentair pumps with the pump trap/basket/lid.
Although there is not orientation on the motor or impeller, the housing, because of the lid, should remain upright and not rotated.

I just reread your post and since you're going to use the Hayward Powerflo LX...guess what?? It's a Thru bolt design!

You'll have to check it first though. Some Hayward Powerflo designs have a flat side and if so, it will only go one way. If it is round where the impeller housing is, then you should be able to rotate it.

duraleigh said:
matt4x4 said:
I've never seen a horizontal output, could this not be achieved using a 90 elbow off the output?

Ditto

I could, but it would make life more difficult. My pump/cartridge filter was sold as a package deal; the horizontal output from the pump feeds directly into the input port of the filter (via a union), and it all sits nicely on a plastic base. I'm sure that I could plumb it using 90's and then just sit it all on the patio blocks underneath the plastic base, but if I can get a pump with a horizontal output or, as Sean pointed out, possibly rotate the impeller housing 90 degrees, I'd rather go in that direction.

Thanks for the replies!

Mike

Poolsean said:
There are "Thru Bolt" pumps that allow you to rotate the discharge orientation on the pump, but these are usually smaller of 1/2 to 1.5 hp rating. There usually is not a pump trap in front of the suction of the pump either.
This design is different from the standard Hayward, Sta-rite, Jandy, Pentair pumps with the pump trap/basket/lid.
Although there is not orientation on the motor or impeller, the housing, because of the lid, should remain upright and not rotated.

I just reread your post and since you're going to use the Hayward Powerflo LX...guess what?? It's a Thru bolt design!

You'll have to check it first though. Some Hayward Powerflo designs have a flat side and if so, it will only go one way. If it is round where the impeller housing is, then you should be able to rotate it.

Thanks, Sean! I'm going to take a look at my old pump this afternoon; it's a Powerflo LX too, so they should be similar, I would think.

Thanks again,
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.