Outdoor TV options

DOMO

Bronze Supporter
Mar 13, 2013
Rowley, MA
Hi all, As we sit trapped indoors with 20-30 degree temperatures and snow on the ground (New England), doing some dreaming of Spring. One thing I have always wanted to add to our outdoor oasis is an outdoor TV. I have read several posts on this site and others and looking for opinions (for the day I can afford to pull off this indulgence!). Given our seasonal changes, I would only keep this outside in Spring, Summer, and Fall. This would be mounted on the outside wall of the house (not under a roof or enclosure) so it would be very exposed to the elements (sun, rain, etc.). There is a pergola which would provide 'some' shading from the sun, but it would still have some direct sun exposure. I've looked into 3 options:

1. Outdoor TV - seems like a great option as these are built for temperature changes, direct weather exposure, but they are VERY expensive. Skyvue and SunBrite are very expensive, Mirage Vision is much less expensive (still about $1,950 for a 40" base model), but I'm not sure if these are "weather resistant" or "weather proof"? Going with Mirage Vision is still the most expensive option.

2. TV Shield - The product appears to be really well designed, but it is bulky and looks like you'd want to raise/open the lid any time you want to watch so as to reduce glare from the case. Oddly enough, to get their best kit with fan, moisture control, tilt mount, it would be roughly $700-800., which is about twice the cost of a decent indoor 42"-46" LED/LCD TV, but overall, still less expensive than option 1.

3. Cover - this seems like an inexpensive option ($80-150 for a decent one, ie Solaire, MossCovers), and not overly incomvenient to cover/uncover but wondering if these would trap moisture and heat, thereby damaging the TV?

Options 2 and 3 are appealing from a cost perspective, especially because indoor TVs are so affordable now, but very concerned about heat exposure, moisture, etc.

Greatly appreciate people's opinions!

The few I know that have them just have regular models. Based on the limited observations I have on those, I'd never cough up the extra $$$
for on of the "outdoor" types. I think a cover for times not in use might be a good Idea, but nothing beyond that IMO.

I too have indulged in this dream, the only option I keep coming up with is - my outdoor viewing wall is a closet on the interior (thought) knock a hole install a box with a tinted sliding window to the outside and have a regular tv on some sort of an extended rotating arm. Everything would be interior with the exception of when I was viewing. Best option would be if I could find a wall that was to a viewable interior and exterior wall - still working on the dream. Too far fetch?

I just redneck it for a couple of football games in early fall and run a long coax cable to a table poolside. Even a 42" lcd tv these days is pretty light to handle. But dream on!

When this topic comes up, it seems most people feel that they are not worth the price, instead they just put up regular flat panel tv's an expect them to only last a couple of years or so, in reality it seems many last longer if somewhat sheltered from the elements. Given the ever improving flat panel tv and ever falling price this seems like a reasonable plan to me when you consider the better off brand 42 inch LED back lit TV's and even some Plasma models are now under $400, probably under $350 for sale events like Superbowl Sunday, etc. and 50 inch screens can now be found under $500.

Hi all, thanks for the replies. Yes, we red-necked it this fall for a few football games, which sparked our interest in figuring out a lower cost permanent alternative. Indeed, regular flat screens are so inexpensive these days, but given that this will be mounted on the side of the house with no protection from rain, sun, etc., I'm thinking I may need something like the TV Shield, but that may make it cost prohibitive. I am worried that a cover, like a grill cover, just won't be enough, and while buying a new indoor tv every so many years is cheaper than 1 outdoor TV, it would have to last a good 4-5 years between purchases.

have you thought of projection? pull=down screen and a portable projector hooked up wirelessly to your computer and/or TV for broadcasting.... My ex did that, although almost as good as a TV (can't get it as clear as LED/LCD, he projected off a wall or sheet it was really easy. And he could make it as small at 40inch or like a drive-in for large groups very versatile.

Hi. Projection is a good idea, but we wouldn't be able to project to a screen much larger than a 40-50" TV and I would need to mount the screen and still have an issue with the projector being outside all the time. Again, a good idea for a lot of applications, but we definitely would want a TV mounted on the house wall. Thanks!

I have two insignia tv's (bestbuy brand) outside. One in the back covered area and one in the tiki hut. They are normal tv's and the sun it's one of them every morning. I have no cover, never take them down (Phoenix AZ), wipe the dust off them once in a while but watch them all the time. They have been up a little over 2 years. "Outdoor" tvs are over rated. One of mine is hooked to a receiver with a full surround sound set up and the other has a sound bar with wireless sub.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Heater. Wow, that's good to hear. Sounds like both are protected from direct rain, yes? And I believe your climate is much drier than ours in New England, so less moisture (but a LOT more heat)?

DOMO said:
Hi Heater. Wow, that's good to hear. Sounds like both are protected from direct rain, yes? And I believe your climate is much drier than ours in New England, so less moisture (but a LOT more heat)?

Both are protected from rain and it is very dry out here. The summers get up to 120* here in the shade! The tv will get so hot it's hard to touch in the day time so it get really hot. In the winter we get to 30ish at the lowest so they do go one extreme to another. I wouldn't recommend being exposed to rain or deep sub freezing temps. Also they are LED and LCD. DO NOT get a plasma for outside.

Hi. Thanks for the add'l info. We only get up to 100 (at most), usually lower 90's and I would bring it in for the winter before we got below 45 or so. Totally agree on no plasma, too much glare. Feeling better on the heat exposure issue, but the moisture is concerning. I believe a lot of these soft covers are waterproof, thereby alleviating direct rain, but concerned they would trap moisture after rain and during high humidity times. I suppose we could just leave the bottom flap (below the tv) open and that would allow air flow and help to alleviate trapped moisture? All other electronics (ie cable box) would be indoors (considering an IR repeater eye for that).

I have a direct cable line into the back of the tv's. I also have 2 cable outlets behind my living room tv so I can loop the signal back out to the cable splitter outside and send that signal to the outdoor tvs. That might be a little hard to follow but it goes through a signal booster and this way I can rent PPV or a movie inside on the cable box and view it outback on the tvs.

Nope. Not confusing. Our cable service here has one master DVR box for the house and all of the other boxes in the house access that DVR, which is nice to record on one and watch on any box. I have a box in the basement that I can run off of, but was just thinking of the remote control, hence the IR repeater. Still need to make sure that these soft covers will provide enough protection and not damage the TV. If so, it would be fairly short money to just install an inexpensive TV with one of those covers instead of the TV Shield or Outdoor TV options (which I can't afford).

Seems like the biggest concern is the humidity - I live in Houston, and cover several things (no TV), i.e. BBQ pit, exercise equipment, swing set things, pool things, etc... What we do is cover from fog and rain, uncover during relative moistureless days (still high humidity in summer), so moisture doesn't collect and start rust. Works fairly well, may be still to much laber for the cause. But we are talking metal, TVs are mainly plastic and components, I wouldn't be concerned with the moisture accumulation so much as your concern from direct weather events. I would cover and leave bottom open for circulation as well - start cheap if it works upgrade.

I purchased a double door electronic enclosure with a back panel and mounted a 42" LED TV on an articulating arm inside the cabinet. A NEMA-4 enclosure is rain proof and with the articualting arm the TV can be pulled out of the enclosure and turned to any viewing angle wanted. So far so good after year one with it mounted to the rear exterior wall of my home. Enclosure manufacturers include Hoffman, Rittal and Haewa.

Could you just build a simple wooden enclosure around it to prevent it getting direct rain? You could vent the bottom and sides without fear of water getting in and seal the top (and seal the enclosure to the wall with sealant). If you seal it well, it may do enough to prevent water getting into the back of the TV.
It wouldn't be a sealed enclosure as the doors wouldn't be totally weather resistant but may be enough. Make sure it's on a GFCI though whatever you do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.