Should I lower CYA?

DanaSC

May 16, 2012
Lexington, SC
Trying to find out if I should partially drain pool prior to shocking and adding polyquat to (finally) close my pool.

Current readings:

FC: 7
CC: 0.5
TC: 6.5
TA: 100
CH: 260
CYA: 70 (slightly above)

I don't necessarily mind draining to get CYA back down closer to 50, but if you all don't really think it's really necessary, I'll just start the shocking process and skip it and drain it next season.

Thanks!

okay what does SLAM mean? I was just going to do the OCLT to it because we have spotted some slight algae and because of that CC of 0.5. Then I'm going to let the FC return to basically normal levels for our CYA (whatever it is at the time) and add the polyquat for 24 hours, then close.

DanaSC said:
Is SLAM just another way of describing doing the OCLT? I'm just curious because I've never heard that term since I've been on here for the past 2 years. Wondering if there is a part of the process that has changed.
No. The SLAM process is the process of getting rid of algae. Did you see the link I provided above. You can read the article in pool school. We changed the name from the shock process.

Got it, thanks. We have some algae so I just wanted to SLAM it to get rid of the algae before we close the pool. Maybe I'll go ahead and do that and then just drain the pool when the new season starts to get our CYA down.

Sometimes for unknown reasons the CYA level can drop over the winter.
If your going to SALM just make sure you get your FC level right for your CYA level. If you wanted to lower the CYA level now for the SLAM process you will use less bleach. Just something to think about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.