Pump Hose Connection (Aux Pump)

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Hi all, still new to this pool thing (2nd post). See below pictures. The pump in the picture is my aux pump that runs a Polaris Vacuum cleaner. I'm wondering what I should do about this hose/pump connection as it was developing a slow leak and after moving the pump around a bit yesterday as I was cleaning up the concrete pad the connection loosened more so that when I turned the primary pump on (not the aux pump) the pressure from the water completely pushed the connection apart and water was spraying everywhere.

I turned the main pump off and pushed the hose back onto the connection. I pressed it pretty hard (hard enough that when I took it back off to take these pictures it took a good 20 seconds of carefully twisting/pulling it up to get it to break off the pump connection.

My question is if it really does just attach by pushing it on with brute force? Or is there some piece that is broken or a seal missing? Anything else to consider?

duraleigh said:
A hose clamp would be necessary, I think, although I don't recognize that type of fitting.

Yeah, I didn't either. I temporarly rigged up a zip tie solution as a backup if the hose starts to slip off the connection. Even though I had to muscle it on there, I'm sure the daily initial pressure of the water may slowly want to loosen it. Is there anywhere to find replacement parts for that hose (maybe I replace the hose and fittings?). The pump itself seems generic and I'll need to look closer to find some sort of model/serial # from it.

That's a polaris booster pump. The hose kit is a P-17. It's usually white hose and fittings, but someone painted yours black. The retainer on the hose goes on first, then the hose goes on, then the retainer is pushed onto the hose and then a red clip keeps the retainer from backing off. The PB4-60 booster pump manual has instructions for installing the hose and fittings. The P-17 kit should also have an instruction sheet

JamesW said:
That's a polaris booster pump. The hose kit is a P-17. It's usually white hose and fittings, but someone painted yours black. The retainer on the hose goes on first, then the hose goes on, then the retainer is pushed onto the hose and then a red clip keeps the retainer from backing off. The PB4-60 booster pump manual has instructions for installing the hose and fittings. The P-17 kit should also have an instruction sheet

Awesome, great information thanks. Essentially I need this?

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_21 ... -Kit-.html

Anything else in that system worthy of an easy replacement while I am at it?

The P-17 kit is what you need. The 280 head unit sometimes needs various parts such as the bag etc. It just depends on the condition of your equipment.

On a side note, the motor on your Polaris booster pump does not look like the regular type of motor for that pump. It might be fine, but I'm not sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.