Year of owning a pool and cant get it clear.

Jan 9, 2012
Argentina
Hi All

Desperatly need some advice for our never clear pool. The only time its clear is when I`ve refilled it, then after a few days its cloudy.
I test it twice daily with a chlorine/ph test kit which is all I can get where we live. The levels are usually pretty good for both but with the summer heat we get quite, often
the chlorine is high in the morning and then too low in the evening. So i`m adding granular chlorine to the skimmer almost every evening. For the last week i`ve had the
pump on pretty much from morning until evening. I had it so it was clean but was cloudy white , you could just see the filter at the bottom. I thought it was under control, but then after a few days i`d brush every mornining which sturred up dark brown algae? Which just seems to settle again. There is also a green/brown scum that gets trapped in the skimmer. Is that algae or something else?
I`ve checked the pump is clean and backwash the sand filter about once a week.

In well over a year of use i can say i`ve never been happy with the quality of the water apart from when its been drained after winter and refilled. I`m really at my wits end with it all, its such hard work trying to look after a pool and i`m not getting anywhere with it.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

It sounds to me that you are dealing with low FC levels for your CYA level and you probably have some algae.
Is the granular form of chlorine cal-hypo ? Could you explain in more detail when you drain and refill what do you add to the water ?
Where are you located and is there any way you can post some test results even if from pool store. With your low pool water volume you can drain and start over like you have been. I would like to see you using liquid chlorine to chlorinate your pool.
Is there any way to get a better test kit ? We can help you, we just need a way to get some accurate test results.

We can help, we just need more information,

When you do a fresh fill are you adding any CYA stabilizer to the water? If so how much

What type of dry chlorine product are you using, is it stabilized (dichlor or trichlor) or unstabilized (cal-hypo), is liquid chlorine / bleach available easily there?

You say high Chlorine on the test, numbers would help here, as well as knowing what type of test you have, is it drop based, if so is it color matching for Chlorine. Assuming it is does it turn yellow or red?

Ike

p.s. I suggest if you have not done so yet to read the pool school link in the upper right of each page here.

I`m in Argentina so its a bit difficult trying to find the spanish translation for some of these items.

I have used in the past liquid chlorine yes and its readily available.
I`ve attached some photos of the pool, the test i did this morning which is for CL levels around 1.3 Ph around 7.5 i`d say. This is about an hour after I added 3 small scoops of granular chlorine to the skimmer. The earlier test the CL level was clear probably 0.2. I`d put some of the granular chlorine in night before but perhaps its not enough as it usually nothing by the morning.
I`ve also attached the product i use for what its worth, its in spanish so probably doesnt help much. Heres the website translated anyhow
http://translate.google.com/transla...tp://www.newcloronline.com.ar/cloro_7_1k.html

I`m going to another city soon so I can try and get a better test kit, i`ve tried 3 local pool shops an they only have the type pictured.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20131228_102107-2.jpg
    IMG_20131228_102107-2.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20131228_102316-2.jpg
    IMG_20131228_102316-2.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20131228_102128-2.jpg
    IMG_20131228_102128-2.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 191
If you end up in the morning with low chlorine levels something is consuming it overnight. That would be something organic like algae.
Do the local pool shops do water testing ? If your going to look for a test kit see if you can get one with a FAS/DPD kit. A kit to test CYA levels would help also. Is there a walmart in another city ? They have a decent test kit. HTH 6 way.

pwrstrk said:
If you end up in the morning with low chlorine levels something is consuming it overnight. That would be something organic like agale.
Do the local pool shops do water testing ? If your going to look for a test kit see if you can get one with a FAS/DPD kit. A kit to test CYA levels would help also. Is there a walmart in another city ? They have a decent test kit. HTH 6 way.

I`ve scowered the internet here and there is only the cl & ph test kits available, no walmart in Argentina unforuntately. Would some algaecide be of use then? Our local pool store has that for sure.

The only algaecide we recommend is polyquat 60. Other algaecide's have copper in them which is something you don't want in your pool water.
Does the pool store test pool water ? With the low water volume can you drain and refill and we can get you started out right with adding the correct things to the water.

Yes chlorine is consumed by
1. The sun.
2. Bather load.
3. Organics in the water and also water temp.
Maintaining proper chlorine levels for your CYA level and you won't have algae. This is key !
Spend sometime reading in pool school. Here is a good place to start pool-school/pool_water_chemistry. And take a look at this. pool-school/types_chlorine_pool.
You haven't answered my question about the pool store testing water samples. The algaecide is not going to be a long term answer.

pwrstrk said:
The only algaecide we recommend is polyquat 60. Other algaecide's have copper in them which is something you don't want in your pool water.
Does the pool store test pool water ? With the low water volume can you drain and refill and we can get you started out right with adding the correct things to the water.

God knows what is in the algaecide product i have here, even the website doesnt explain much. I doubt polyquat 60 is available here.
As for testing ,the pool store i`d have to check, but i have a feeling they only use those basic test kits. I`m travelling to Miami in 3 months time, perhaps I could find a walmart and bring a kit back with me.
I could drain the pool, although we have such poor water pressure it takes a couple of days to refill. I think last time I did it I just put lots of granular chlroine in until the levels looked ok on the test kit I have. Guess it wasnt enough and thats why after a few days it starts getting cloudy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your going to the states then you can get a good test kit. Are you going to be staying with friends family ? Could somebody send you a kit ?
The whole key to this is accurate water testing and adding only the things your water needs.
If you wanted to drain and refill we can fix this.

Yes that kit will work. If you can find a good pool store you might be able to get a Taylor K2006. No sense in draining and refilling until you have the kit to check the levels.
Yes there is a decent guide of what to add when you start with fresh water. That guide is pool school and us here on the forum. Please take the time to read the articles in pool school. It may take a couple of readings until you understand fully.
When you get the test kit we can get you started out right. I promise it won't be hard.

ok thanks. Problem is by the time I`ll get that test kit it`ll be near the end of our summer. We`re right in the middle of our pool season so i`d like something to sort it out.
Would it be better to get one of those clorine floating dispensers and use tablet to ensure a constant supply of chlorine to my pool? I think our weather which is very sunny and humid really is too strong for granular chlorine.

Yes that could work for short term. Depends on where your CYA level is. Could you ask the pool store if they test for CYA level ? That is why we wanted to know if the granular form you are using now is stabilized or unstabilized. Could you ask pool store if it is or not ?
Do you have any visible algae ? By some of the things you've said I think you may have something going on. That would have to be addressed by the SLAM process as detailed in pool school, or since we don't have a good test kit, products you would get at the pool store. Another way would be to drain an clean the entire pool with water and bleach. Then refill and start fresh, which we could help you with. If you do have algae that HAS TO BE RESOLVED.

Suggestion: Stop back washing the sand filter on a weekly basis unless you have a 25% increase in pressure over what you think your normal clean pressure is. Sand filters actually filter better somewhat dirty. You say you are brushing the pool. Are you also vacuuming it?

danacc said:
If I'm reading this correctly: http://www.anmat.gov.ar/listados/Listad ... s_2013.pdf, that granular chlorine you are using is trichlor. That means you are adding CYA along with chlorine every time you add the powder.

Do you know how much powder you've added in total since the last time you drained and refilled the pool?

Thanks for the info, I usually ad about 30 grams every 3 days i`d imagine. But i`ve only switched to that product in the last few weeks before that I was using a granular chlorine from these people
http://www.culzoni.com/construccion-de-piscinas-dosificacion.html
But cant find any info on the page you found on it. Will look more.

woodyp said:
Suggestion: Stop back washing the sand filter on a weekly basis unless you have a 25% increase in pressure over what you think your normal clean pressure is. Sand filters actually filter better somewhat dirty. You say you are brushing the pool. Are you also vacuuming it?
#
ok thanks. Yes I vacuum the pool about 2-3 times a week, then brush it usually every day. But every day recently its quite cloudy after brushing. Pump is being left on most of the day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.