Help identifying stains and removing

tcross04

Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hi!

I was looking for a little help identifying a few stains.

I have my pool drained as I needed to bring my CH down and it was off the charts! I thought I would do an acid wash on it and refill but as I started the acid wash it wasn't helping. I think the brown is calcium buildup and the green may be copper? Then the black one I don't know but a pool guy suggested it was rebar staining through where the shotcrete was not deep enough.

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• Copper.jpg
    Copper.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Calcium.jpg
    Calcium.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Black-Spot.jpg
    Black-Spot.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 49
Welcome to the forum!

The brown stains in the upper left of the first pic and center of the second do look like they could be caused by rebar, or rebar ties corroding below the plaster. I can't tell so much about the larger black one. All the green-ish ones do look like copper staining. I wouldn't think you'd have Copper plumbing in a pool that age, so I would wonder about the presence of a mineral "sanitizing" system. Do you know if one of these has been in use?

Thanks for the response.

I don't know if a mineral sanatizing system has ever been used. I know I don't have one now though.

As for the copper pipe, I don't have any being used in the pool but my water system coming from the street and all through the house is copper. I thought through years of this it has slowly become a problem.

I know I need to just have it resurfaced but having just bought the house I was hoping to make it another year or two. I am on a time constraint trying to get this done before going back to work. I've lightened the brown stains which was my biggest complaint so I'm filling the pool back up. I'm not completely happy with the results but I suppose I'm satisfied. :/

I thought I may try running the chlorine high for a bit to see if that helps, otherwise I'll just have to live with it until the CFO lets me spend some more money on the resurfacing :wink:

Without knowing more, I'd have to assume that's where it's coming from then. It does seem like a lot from just that however.

Glad it's improved, and sorry it isn't up to spec, but that is certainly better than nothing. I really doubt the high FC will buy you anything for lasting improvement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.