Intellichem with Easytouch

kitamiman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 20, 2011
Thanks to a TFP member, I now have my Intellichem up and running :party:

Too soon to comment on performance, but it seems to be working OK.

However, I do not see the Intellichem in the Easytouch (bought October 2009, never updated) menus - it doesn't show up in settings/diagnostics/etc, whereas a newly installed Intellichlor does.

Should it?

Would an update fix it? Will it show in Screenlogic it it doesn't show in Easytouch (my Screenlogic is currently dead)?

Many thanks to all who take the trouble to reply/comment.

Yes, it is listed in the Easytouch menu, with four sub-menu items. What is the firmware version of your panel?

The intellichlor can be controlled by either the intellichem or the Easytouch, but not both...

Intellichem has a tab in Screenlogic, there is a demo of screenlogic which shows how it should look. You enable the Intellichem in the Screenlogic configuration pages.

There should not be a need for updates. Getting the settings correct is the most likely issue.

Good luck with the intellichem and the Easytouch. I will have the same set up going in soon. We just laid the pad for the equipment. Very envious that you have it to "play" with.

Thank you both for the replies.

>>The intellichlor can be controlled by either the intellichem or the Easytouch, but not both...

Not sure how one sets this up.... I have today checked all comport connections on Easytouch, Intellichlor, and Intellichem, which are all wired back to the com port on the Easytouch. All are wired correctly, but my Intellichem is still not shown anywhere in the Easytouch menus.

The Intellichem seems to be doing its thing and appears to think it IS connected to the Intellichlor - it shows dosing, mixing etc depending on the ORP. However, 48 hours has shown that it is not actually controlling the Intellichlor; I set the Intellichlor to 100% thinking that on/off would be controlled by the Intellichem, but my FC levels went through the roof so clearly it was running at 100% for the 18 hours the pump was running and was not being controlled by the Intellichem.

Maybe it's just that my Easytouch was made before the Intellichem existed (?) or maybe something is wrong with my Intellichem comms.

Easytouch software details: Software Rev: VIC 2.07 VOC 2.06 Bootloader Rev: VIC 1.010 VOC 1.010

>>Good luck with the intellichem and the Easytouch. I will have the same set up going in soon. We just laid the pad for the equipment. Very envious that you have it to "play" with.

Have fun! I am using an external peristaltic pump for the acid (BW FlexFlo) hooked up to a 45-gallon food grade plastic barrel, buried up to its neck beside the pad, just FYI. Good luck with your build.

The intellichem simply cycles the intellichlor on at 100% and off. You can verify proper operation by watching the lights on the Intellichlor.
Something like 5 minutes on and then one minute off, until it reaches the set point.

I would not worry about the intellichem showing in Easytouch yet, get the intellichlor working first.
Easytouch may need to be a later firmware (I am at v2.130), I can update it for you if you need it.

Verify this setting on the intellichem;
Configuration/Hardware/ORP Control/ORP Control Doser Type [INTELLICHLOR]
Power needs to be cycled before changes take effect
Also the Easytouch should not be set to control the Intellichlor...

kitamiman said:
I am using an external peristaltic pump for the acid (BW FlexFlo) hooked up to a 45-gallon food grade plastic barrel, buried up to its neck beside the pad, just FYI. Good luck with your build.

I really like the idea of burying the barrel up to its neck. I think that is a cool idea. Also, thanks for the good luck wishes. I may need them.

Hi Jerryt,

The Intellichlor is working in the sense that it is running fine as a standalone unit. The config on the Intellichem is correct (Configuration/Hardware/ORP Control/ORP Control Doser Type [INTELLICHLOR]), and it seems to think it's in charge - displays dosing messages etc - when it really isn't (I've had bosses like that...)

>Also the Easytouch should not be set to control the Intellichlor.

Are you saying Settings > Intellichlor > Enable > No.......? I could try that, but I suspect it will simply stop functioning. There is nothing to suggest that the Intellichlor or Easytouch know that the Intellichem exists.

Everything seems to suggest that the Intellichem comms are dead....

The small comms board in the Intellichem that you helped me out with has two small red lights glowing when I open up the box. I think one says D2 near it... Does yours?

> I can update it for you if you need it

That is a a really kind offer and I'd love to make it happen, but I am on an out-island in the Bahamas. There are no PBs here, or anything close, so I have no choice but to wrestle with the beast myself. Not much chance of getting software updated I'm afraid.

D1 = Power "Green on solid"
D2 = Data "Flashing red"
D5 = Data "Flashing red"

Yes, select "NO" in the Easytouch menu under Intellichlor for enabled, this will allow the Intellichem to control the Intellichlor.

Thanks for that, but still no joy. I disabled the Intellichlor in Easytouch, but it is still not being controlled by the Intellichem. It just stays on all the time at the setting on the unit.

Furthermore, I may have another problem. The Taylor PH test is clearly showing a drop in PH, (from 7.5 to 7.4 - from pink to orange ) but the PH readout on the Intellichem hasn't changed at all. At this point my Intellichem appears to be only a very expensive timer for my acid pump.

Are you testing the PH of the water in the "FLOW CELL" or the pool?

Do you have a pressure differential across the "FLOW CELL" so that water flows thru it?

Did you cycle the power to SWG, Easytouch and Intellichem after disabling Easytouch control of intellichlor?

Try setting the ORP as low as it will go, the SWG should stop.

Verify cables to sensors...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jerryt said:
Do you have a pressure differential across the "FLOW CELL" so that water flows thru it?

I am afraid that I am going to show my lack of common sense. What exactly does this mean? Does it mean: 1. that you need to take the input to the flow cell from close to after the filter or pump because this provides the flow pressure and the output is close to the return (even though the in and out tubing is the same size); or 2. do you use a smaller size tubing for the input and a larger size for the output to provide the pressure to ensure that it will flow.

Thanks in advance.

KenGood said:
jerryt said:

I am afraid that I am going to show my lack of common sense. What exactly does this mean? Does it mean: 1. that you need to take the input to the flow cell from close to after the filter or pump because this provides the flow pressure and the output is close to the return (even though the in and out tubing is the same size); or 2. do you use a smaller size tubing for the input and a larger size for the output to provide the pressure to ensure that it will flow.

Thanks in advance.

Per the install instructions; inlet is after filter and outlet is just before valves. Both fittings and lines are the same. Differential is created by Heater, plumbing and SWG cell.

Checking water in the flow cell was a good call; PH was higher than that of the water about a foot below the surface of the pool that I tested initially (my return feeds from main drains at deepest part of pool). Interesting - I wonder if PH is always higher at the bottom... Anyway, flow cell PH reading was in line with Intellichem PH reading, and while still not certain I think that the Intellichem IS controlling the acid based on sensor readings, which is great.

Still no joy with the Intellichem/Intellichlor pairing though. Have checked all connections and all are correct. In the Auto startup, it associates ORP with Intellichlor, but when I am in the settings via the ORP menus I do not see Intellichlor mentioned.

Will keep fiddling and will contact Pentair tech support in the new year if I have no success. My main concern is the acid side, which I hope is working. I have read on TFP that ORP sensor + Intellichlor is not altogether satisfactory, and once one gets the % setting right on the Intellichlor it will likely stay in range anyway, but sheesh, this is new gear (although it has been in the box on my shelf for 12 months, so is out of warranty) so I would like it to do what it says on the box even if I end up not using that function anyway...

jerryt said:
The intellichem simply cycles the intellichlor on at 100% and off. You can verify proper operation by watching the lights on the Intellichlor.
Something like 5 minutes on and then one minute off, until it reaches the set point.

This is the actual cycling of my Intellichor by the Intellichem, Intellichor is using about 180 watts with the Intelliflo VF pump using 210 to 220 watts.
[attachment=0:31vdijw7]Intellichem cycling of intelliclor.jpg[/attachment:31vdijw7]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.