Safety of pool water after a storm

Dec 24, 2013
One of the absolutely non-negotiable things around having a pool as far as I'm concerned is the safety and health of my kids. I'm sure we're all the same when it comes to that.

And so, I'm constantly on the lookout for things that may put their health at risk, particularly as I'm still learning about how to maintain a pool as I've only had one for a few weeks.

About 6 nights ago, we had a horrible wind storm during the night. We don't get tornadoes in Australia but it must have been close. I've never heard anything like it!

Anyway, the next morning, the pool was covered in debris (leaves, dirt, insects, flowers, etc.). I skimmed the debris sitting on top of the water. I took a FC reading and it was about 2.5ppm, which is not too bad since the pool is normally at around 3.0 to 3.5 (SWG). I also ran the pump for 10 hours a day for 6 days. I vacuumed the pool and ran the robotic cleaner over it a few days later.

Today, 6 days later, we used the pool again. Before the kids went in, it was crystal clear and the water chemistry was good (FC 3, pH 7.6).

But after a while, one of the kids complained about the water being dirty. I jumped in the pool and noticed quite a bit of debris floating in the water ( seemed like leaves and bits of bark). It seems the kids had stirred it all up.

I also noticed that when I touched the tiles at the bottom of the pool, although they seemed totally clean, it was very rough and grainy, like some invisible dirt was covering them.

My questions are:

1. Have I put my kids' health at risk by letting them swim in a "dirty" pool? Have they been exposed to harmful bacteria that the chlorine would not have been able to kill?

2. Should I have shocked the pool after the storm? The chlorine level was still ok but should I have given it a boost?

3. Is there any way to keep a pool completely dirt-free and clean 100% of the time?

1. No I don't think you put your kids at risk. Have you ever swam in a fresh water pond or lake ? Their full of stuff.
2. yes you could've. It wouldn't have hurt anything, but it sounds like you were on top of it and got it cleaned up right away.
3. I don't know of away to keep a pool 100% clean and debris free. I'm sure you do your best to keep it as clean as possible.

1. I would say no.
2. It's generally a good practice to boost FC levels when something like this happens.
3. No. Even if it were indoors, things would be tracked into the pool at some point.

It's great to be vigilant, but relax, stay on top of things and all will be well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.